Fixing a crooked cut

Xaromir

I decided to make this it's own topic now, i don't want to be annoying but i only got ~3-4 more days to finish,

and i'm quite slow since it's my first time.

Problem is: I've cut off a block of wood from rough stock at a bit of an angle,

i didn't notice since the board wasn't square to begin with, i'm actually surprised it turned out so good,

but i can't make it square - it's all just on the both sides with the endgrain, my plain can't handle it,

and i don't feel comfortable with getting the saw out with so little to remove,

sanding paper is no option - it's endgrain and i really have to remove stuff.

I thought about a rasp but i'm not sure because i don't want to tear stuff off the edges.

I have no powertools available.

Any ideas?

Here is the problem:

ww2-1.jpg

I decided to make this it's own topic now, i don't want to be annoying but i only got ~3-4 more days to finish,

and i'm quite slow since it's my first time.

Problem is: I've cut off a block of wood from rough stock at a bit of an angle,

i didn't notice since the board wasn't square to begin with, i'm actually surprised it turned out so good,

but i can't make it square - it's all just on the both sides with the endgrain, my plain can't handle it,

and i don't feel comfortable with getting the saw out with so little to remove,

sanding paper is no option - it's endgrain and i really have to remove stuff.

I thought about a rasp but i'm not sure because i don't want to tear stuff off the edges.

I have no powertools available.

Any ideas?

Here is the problem:

ww2-1.jpg

It may just be the photo, but it looks pretty far out of square. I think your best best is to go to the saw. I'm assuming this is a rather small piece. Be sure to secure it with your hands out of harms way. Remember, if you are not comfortable doing an operation, don't! A rasp might get you close if you have a good eye and technique, but rasps are not finishing tools. My first go to would be my BS on a small piece and follow with a shooting board.

Since you mentioned not having any power tools available, I assume you cut this with a hand saw. To square up the ends, I'd use a handsaw with a guide block. Take a square to mark the cut line all around the block (hopefully the ends meet :)) Since it tapers, start the cut on the side with the most meat to remove heading towards the taper; likely your cut will come out right where the crooked edge starts. Clamp a fairly high block right next to the cut line with a piece of fine sandpaper folded in half between that block and your block. Clamp the guide block in place. The sandpaper keeps it from moving; make sure the sandpaper is doubled everywhere to keep a uniform thickness. Now cut with the plate of your saw against the guide. Once it is fairly far into the other block, the kerf will guide the saw. This is especially important when you get near the end.

To sand that block by hand, I'd stick a sheet of sandpaper to a scrap of MDF with spray adhesive and rub the block onto the sandpaper (uh, clamp it in place).

Didn't find a square block actually*, but it gave me a idea: I got myself a miter saw... big error though.

The theory so far:

It wobbles quite a bit and i see that it gets slightly bend when it rests on the wood after the cut is made,

i guess the wobble is the reason for the bending and the bending the reason for the irregular cut.

Reminds me why i love saws that work on pulling not pushing.

I doubt it's the wood, i made the sides square to each other with the plane

and tested it with a square, not perfect looking but they are actually square to each other.

but the cut is still crooking,

i guess i go to a woodworker tomorrow and ask him if i can push it through his saws,

even though i probably have to pay for the usage, but it beats not meeting the deadline.

I basically just need 4 cuts, once every end and two cuts down the length.

For now i deleted the whining, i think you heard enough of this by me.

For those that still wonder: No space no money and highly frustrated.

*I started with a idea like that actually.

Looks straight but isn't and yes that's the dining table,

which i use when my desk is to small.

b-2-2-1.jpg

Xaromir, I know I'm too late to this thread to help you hit your deadline, but I wanted to chime in for the future. I'm curious to hear why your "plane won't handle it". I would use a marking gauge or knife and square (heck even a pencil line) and mark the square line all the way around the board and plane down to the line. A small block plane or any shorter plane that won't be cumbersome to use would work just fine.