sycamore

I had the opportunity to build an entertainment unit out of 100+ year old sycamore floorboards from an old barn. Granted that's a bit different from taking wood from a fresh tree, but yeah, it's got a fantastic grain pattern and is easy to work with. I've attached some results. I used a General Finishes cherry gel stain along with some water based poly, and the finish came out gorgeous.

post-615-076908300 1286196795_thumb.jpg

post-615-095370000 1286196803_thumb.jpg

You're received some good information already and the article is good too. But the simplest way to answer your question is this: what's the diameter of the sycamore tree that you're looking at? Sycamore must be quatersawn to be dimentionally stable and unless this is a tree of decent size, it might not be worth the work. Hopefully it's a large tree, because QS Am. Sycamore is beautiful! Good luck!

can somebody tell me if a sycamore tree is worth getting cut up into boards i have several different hardwoods that logging company fell, but did not take because bad weather made it difficult for equipment. thanks

I will assume that you are talking about American (Sycamore) which is not quite the same as European Sycamore.

I can only speak for the European variety.

The European variety is a very pale cream to white timber when first felled. It is essential that once planked you stand the timber on end with a free flow of air but preferably sheltered from direct rain or strong sun for a considerable time before drying in the normal way. If you do not do this it will turn a muddy grey and stain badly. Perhaps someone States side will know more concerning the American Sycamore, which we here would call Maple. Either way if you have some in reasonable dimensions get it planked up. It's good all round timber and not cheap here.

Pete

Perhaps someone States side will know more concerning the American Sycamore, which we here would call Maple.

In the States, we call them "sycamore (plain tree)" I believe that you call them plain trees as well.

In New York City and Philadelphia (USA), we have a lot of plaintrees, because they tolerate air pollution and do well in cities. I had always heard that they had been imported from England, and they were popular in London because they tolerated the coal smog well.

That's "popular", not "poplar". Let's not add to the confusion.

My home in Philly is surrounded by beautiful old plain trees that are easily 50 feet tall. Just gorgeous trees, especially right in the middle of a city.

In the States, we call them "sycamore (plain tree)" I believe that you call them plain trees as well.

In New York City and Philadelphia (USA), we have a lot of plaintrees, because they tolerate air pollution and do well in cities. I had always heard that they had been imported from England, and they were popular in London because they tolerated the coal smog well.

That's "popular", not "poplar". Let's not add to the confusion.

My home in Philly is surrounded by beautiful old plain trees that are easily 50 feet tall. Just gorgeous trees, especially right in the middle of a city.

Oh dear. We're going to have to get technical I'm afraid. Thank God for that dear old eccentric Swede Linnaeus. The tree you so rightly call A Plane Tree (note the different spelling) Aint Language great? is the same in both Europe and America. It's Latin name is platinus acerifolia. Sometimes called 'Buttonwood' in the States I believe. This comes from the shape of it's fruit catkin.

When radially cut as a veneer we get the wonderful gleaming veneer known as 'Lacewood'

The tree we call Sycamore in Europe has the Latin name Acer pseudoplatanus As you can see there are similarities in the latin. This is because it is based on the Greek and old latin names for Broad-leaved. Incidentally Maple is Acer saccharum or Sugar Maple. I dont know if you can get Harewood in the US, but it is simply Sycamore, usually veneer that has been chemically stained to a pleasant shade of grey (gray) like I said language is wonderful stuff.

You're dead right about Plane trees in London they could withstand the mess but they were mainly planted as 'shade trees' Here in France they used to line virtually every main road in the country. But it now seems they keep jumping out at motorists and are being systematically cut down. Pity really.

Hope this hasn't been too painful

Pete

can somebody tell me if a sycamore tree is worth getting cut up into boards i have several different hardwoods that logging company fell, but did not take because bad weather made it difficult for equipment. thanks

Well everyone here seems to love it. I don't dislike it, the grain on QS is striking, but it is blotchy to finish. Can be done , but not a straight forward stain and poly also it does have a tendancy to twist and cup. Once you've milled it, should be fine.