Radial Arm Saw vs. Table Saw

jgfore

I have been hearing a lot of woodworkers around talking about there Radial Arm Saws, and it has got me thinking if I need one. I can not really think of any applications that the RAS can do that my nice table saw can not.

So, my question is: Is there any need to have a radial arm saw if I already have a Table Saw? Is there anything that a RAS will do that a TS can not?

Jeff

I have been hearing a lot of woodworkers around talking about there Radial Arm Saws, and it has got me thinking if I need one. I can not really think of any applications that the RAS can do that my nice table saw can not.

So, my question is: Is there any need to have a radial arm saw if I already have a Table Saw? Is there anything that a RAS will do that a TS can not?

Jeff

You can turn a radial arm saw's blade parallel to the table allowing you to cut tenons very easily. It is a lot easier and frankly safer to do cross-cuts that are within the length of the arms travel on a radial arm saw then on an unassisted table saw. This because the wood stays put so it can't bind against the blade, thus the chance of knockback is essentially null. That being said, a cross-cut sled on a table saw replicates this same process.

I however would not rip a board on a radial arm saw. You can, lots of folks do, but a table saw is a far superior device when it comes to ripping.

• 3 weeks later...

if you real want one check out craigs list you can get them for like 50 bucks there irum sanders s a reason everyone is getting rid of them my theory is people that like new shinny things are ditching there saws for drum sanders they take about the same footprint in a shop