The tool making phase continues: Marking/Cutting Gauge

markhochstein

One of the habits I've developed over the years is to stay focused on one project at a time. This is the only way that I don't end up with a shop full of half finished projects. With ADD like mine I can easily get distracted by new exciting project ideas. This past year I spent a lot of time making the Media Cabinet. While I was doing that I came across numerous ideas for other small projects that I really wanted to do, but I had to just make a list of them and press on with the Media Cabinet. Since finishing that project I've finally had a chance to knock out some of the smaller projects that I've wanted to tackle. This time around they seem to all be tools of some sort.

I've wanted to make my own marking gauge for some time. I use a Veritas cutting gauge that I am generally happy with, but sometimes it's a little unstable because the base is only about 1 1/2" wide. In addition, the rod is only 9" long so I'm unable to mark further than about 7 1/2" from an edge.

While making this marking/cutting gauge I decided to make three different length beams while I was at it so I can mark up to 24" from an edge. For the blade I used a segment of the segmented blades that are available for many utility knives. They're cheap and easily replaced.

Marking_Gauge-2.jpg

Marking_Gauge.jpg

Marking_Gauge-4.jpg

Onboard: Thanks! I did build the bench. It's Bob Lang's design for his 21st Century Workbench. I love it. It has completely changed my woodworking. If you are really interested in that build, I did a full chronology on my LJ page (there's a link in my signature).

Nik: I started to take photo's of the process but I forgot about half way through. It's a very easy build. I had ordered 1/4-20 knurled knob bolts from McMaster-Carr, but the longest they come in is an inch. I got lucky because I happened to have an old Crown Tools marking gauge laying around that just happened to have a shouldered 1/4-20 knurled knob bolt that was 1 1/4" long. The length limits how tall the body can be. An alternate design option would be to have the bolt come in from the bottom, then the 1" length wouldn't be an issue. You can get the 1/4-20 threaded inserts from McMaster as well or from Woodcraft or Rockler. You can also order all the brass stock from McMaster. I used 1/8" thick brass, but some companies use 1/16" stock.

David: I'd like to provide more. I'll see if I can post some of the pics I did take, but they'll be pretty limited.