Finishes for a radiator cabinet

Baetis

I am hoping that someone out there in the world wide web has some advise for me. I am building a cabinet to enclose a radiator. It is made of white oak, with mortise-tenon and biscuit joinery. I live in Chicago, with the humid continental climate: cold / dry in winter, hot, humid in summer. Naturally, the wood will dry out in winter, especially given the raditor heat. In summer, it will swell with our midwestern humidity. Does anyone have a recommendation for a finish that will endure (or maybe minimize?) the effects of the summer humidity & the dry winter heat?

Gratefully yours, Dave Pott dpott at baetis.biz

To my knowledge, no wood finish is 100% perfectly suited for heat and at some point will damage the finish. Do finish manufactures make a heat paint or heat topcoat for wood, I don't know? Is epoxy a better choice? Define heat, is it 100 to 190 deg a radiator can get? <_< <_< <_<:blink: :blink: :blink: interesting, what can work in this situation?

But, but, ,but.... some finishes do better than others and tolerate heat very well. General Finishes Arm-R-Seal, General Finishes Water-Based High Performance, do just that, and should be fine for a radiator cover and is what I would use.

Make sure you finish the inside, as well, as the outside to help stabilize your wood.

-Ace-