How do you Marc your work?

I've been considering ordering an electric wood burning iron with my company logo on it. Up until today I haven't marked any of the projects I've earned commission on. Really that’s pretty dumb. I should have at least signed and dated the bottom of a drawer with a sharpie or something.

Just curious, how do you all mark (or Marc) your work?

Do you mark it differently if you are earning a commission on it or if you are just making it for a loved one?

I've been considering ordering an electric wood burning iron with my company logo on it. Up until today I haven't marked any of the projects I've earned commission on. Really that’s pretty dumb. I should have at least signed and dated the bottom of a drawer with a sharpie or something.

Just curious, how do you all mark (or Marc) your work?

Do you mark it differently if you are earning a commission on it or if you are just making it for a loved one?

I got one of the steel punches from Lee Valley of an acorn, and I also glue a signed label with my logo.

I've considered a tag that hangs from a rail or knob, but I haven't considered branding the work. When you use the brand, do you mark it after you've assembled but before you finish, or when it's still in individual pieces?

Gave it some thought, and I remember seeing some chalk signatures on the back of some furniture I moved out of my great aunt's house a year after she passed, and the furniture had sat there for over 40 years... So I know chalk will last (as long as you don't clean that area regularly...)

I have used a branding iron for about 6 years (bought it from www.brandnew.net) and I really like it. I purchased the type that mounts in the drill press, that way you can let it heat up and brand any number of items one right after the other, and the brand stays flat and marks every corner.

Make sure you unplug your drill press...

I have a light on my drill press, and turn it on when I have the iron plugged in, and it gives me an extra measure of security to alert me that it is on.

Certainly don't want to burn down the shop because I forgot.

• 2 months later...

I looked at this website. I will give them a call on Monday. Thanks for posting this. It sounds like so far ... you like them.

I have used a branding iron for about 6 years (bought it from www.brandnew.net) and I really like it. I purchased the type that mounts in the drill press, that way you can let it heat up and brand any number of items one right after the other, and the brand stays flat and marks every corner.

Make sure you unplug your drill press...

I have a light on my drill press, and turn it on when I have the iron plugged in, and it gives me an extra measure of security to alert me that it is on.

Certainly don't want to burn down the shop because I forgot.

I always liked the look of the branding irons, but I always felt that the money should be spent on a new tool or saw blade. Maybe I was too cheap to cough up the money for one, but I order a $9 rubber stamp that does a pretty good impression of a branding iron....it works best if you stamp the piece before the final clear coats.

I also like to embed a penny from the year the piece was made.

The stamp looks something like this:

TomStamp2-1.jpg