"Quiet" Planers

Guest 2112

Ok, so I know there is no such thing as a quiet thickness planer, but does anyone know of any that may be quieter than others? I'm looking at getting a 12.5" Dewalt or Grizzly, but since I work out of my garage I'd rather not have the neighbors hate me too much. I've not had any complaints about the jointer or router, so maybe a small planer won't be much louder? I'm guessing there isn't any noticeable noise difference between brands, only sizes, but am not sure.

I have both the 734 and 735 DeWalt planers. The 735 might be a slight less loud, but not noticeable to my ear. But, I would strongly urge you to get the 735 over the 734 because for the $100 difference, the 735 is a far superior planer. Two speeds, little to zero snipe. I use the 734 for hogging and questionable wood, and the 735 for my nicer stuff.

Ok, so I know there is no such thing as a quiet thickness planer, but does anyone know of any that may be quieter than others? I'm looking at getting a 12.5" Dewalt or Grizzly, but since I work out of my garage I'd rather not have the neighbors hate me too much. I've not had any complaints about the jointer or router, so maybe a small planer won't be much louder? I'm guessing there isn't any noticeable noise difference between brands, only sizes, but am not sure.

I just finished reading FineWoodworking's review of benchtop planers. They specifically say that there isn't much to do about the noise but they really liked the DeWalt 835. They didn't review the Grizzly so I can't comment on that one.

Vic is right about the 735. I'll throw in something else. As long as you are in the "direct drive" category (although the 735 does have a belt :huh:) You are not going to get a quite machine. Once you step up to (which few hobby guys ever do) the big planers, they get allot quieter. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Now that I think about maybe the 735 doesn't have a belt....anyone confirm?

it's a planer - your neighbors are going to hate you, get used to it.

NOW that we got that out of the way. in terms of universal motor planers- they are all the same (not a noticeable difference). the +3HP induction motor planers are quieter (motor wise), but still not like a handplane.

like Vic, I have the DW735 and it's a workhorse. it has all the features it needs to have, and it does good. not familiar with the Grizzly though.

Vic is right about the 735. I'll throw in something else. As long as you are in the "direct drive" category (although the 735 does have a belt :huh:) You are not going to get a quite machine. Once you step up to (which few hobby guys ever do) the big planers, they get allot quieter. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Now that I think about maybe the 735 doesn't have a belt....anyone confirm?

you are correct, but it's not the belt that is making the noise - it's the motors. Universal motors (screamers) Vs. Induction motors (quieter)

I bought the Grizzly G9860ZX with spiral cutterheads recently. Before that I had a Grizzly 8" jointer with spiral cutterheads. I don't know if it's true, but I've always read and been told that machines with indexable carbide inserts are more quiet than machines without. Hope this helps.

For the lunch box planers, you are not going to get quite. I have the Dewalt 734 as the extra $100 was a budget buster, but have found it to be a very good planer, and found I can minize snipe nicely.

I will however mention that a fellow wood working who buys old industrial woodworking tools has a behemouth of a planer in his garage. (Phase regulator and all) I haven't seen him use it yet, but from he has told me is that it is amazing how much quieter it is compared to the lunch boxes.

You could get the DW735 and add a Byrd head to it. It does make the machine quieter.

The Makits NB2012? is less noisy.

I have the 3 blade Rigid and its pretty loud. I close the garage doors and windows when I use it so I don't bother the neighbors. My wife says its barely noticeable in the house and the neighbors have never complained (as far as I know... they've tried to communicate but I don't speak Spanish and don't care to learn).

The Grizzly is nice - I own it - but much like every other planer I've seen, it's *loud*. I don't think there's any way around that; two foot-long blades spinning over wood at 10,000 rpm is going to be noisy.

If you're really interested in keeping the neighbors happy, pad your "loud tool" room with homosote, which is basically drywall designed for sound absorption. Or just buy them a case of beer from time to time; really depends on the neighbors.