Wall storage cabinet

JayWC

I needed some storage for my shop and due to the construction of the wall, and in an effort to save precious floor space, I built a wall cabinet that is about 24" high and 36" wide. The depth of the main carcass is 12" plus face frame. The doors are roughly 3" deep boxes because I am going to mount runners in them and a piece of peg board to hang tools on the inside. To date, I built the carcass and cut the shelves. That has been hanging on the shop wall for a few weeks. This weekend I (along with finishing two of my redwood benches) added the face frame and two doors. I have a bunch to go, but it is the little detail part at this point. I should also note that the cabinet is laying on its back on my bench in the door shots...

post-3726-0-38565200-1303749514_thumb.jp

post-3726-0-92974400-1303749515_thumb.jp

post-3726-0-11986600-1303749518_thumb.jp

A lot of good functional storage space in that cabinet, Jay.

My only concern is having just 2 hinges per door; they look heavy empty. Once you put your collection of 16oz framing hammers in one side, it might sag or, worse, shear the brass screws. (well, look like brass in the pic)

I agree with Paul-Marcel about the hinges. Myself I would use piano hinges for that not as neat looking but very heavy duty. Really depends what you have slated for the inside of the door boxes. If you load it up with heavier hand tools it "might" cause you grief but if you have lighter stuff only in there I would not worry bout it at all. Give it a few months and if the hinges get loose then upgrade or find another solution. If it works don't fix it :)

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of good functional storage space in that cabinet, Jay.

My only concern is having just 2 hinges per door; they look heavy empty. Once you put your collection of 16oz framing hammers in one side, it might sag or, worse, shear the brass screws. (well, look like brass in the pic)

Over the weekend I upgraded the hinges to piano hinges. The original hinges were brass plated steel, but I felt like having comments from you and Joe was the push I needed to make the change. According to the package, the first hinges should have been able to support 55# per door, but the piano hinge is smoother operating and a cleaner look. This coming weekend I'm going to install the peg board in the doors. That's really just 2 long and 2 short sleepers with a peg board panel in each door. The hardest parts are done.

post-3726-0-84512800-1305550012_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...