1/4 plywood - am I crazy?

Ok, so I know that a 2x4 doesn't measure 2" by 4" but I ordered some 1/4 oak plywood from a local lumber store a few weeks ago along with some 3/4 inch for a barristers bookcase that I'm making. Been working on it in my spare time for several weeks now and am to the point where I was going to assemble one of the cases. I double checked the plans and saw that it said 1/4 inch plywood for the case back. I went over to my sheet of supposed 1/4 inch plywood and neater it. 1/8". Looked at myreceipt and it said 1/4" so at least I didn't tell them wrong. Since theyarent open on weekends, I went to the two big box stores to see if they would have sone 2x4 sheets of 1/4 so I could continue to work this weekend. Those that were labeled 1/4 measured 1/8 as well. Am I crazy or is 1/4 inch plywood 1/8 of an inch thick in real life?

Yes, I know this may be a silly question.

I have been wondering if some of the sizes are more normal 'metric plywood' sizes. Right now I have none in stock, so if someone does, could you MEASURE and let us know? If it is more 'metric' it might be better to get 'metric plywood' bits if you want to do the dado's that way.

Jack, situation is that there is much variation in thicknesses between plywoods.

I have and use plywood straight bits for dado and grooves and they are good to have, but you still need to verify and then at times finesse.

If the ply is very close to 1/4 then a full router bit with a bit of shaving is in order, but usually the ply bits get me closer.

Just don't blindly count on it.

plywood just like 2x4s are full dimention in the ruff once they are refined in the case of 2x4s ran through a 4 sided planner. in plywoods case they are ran through sanding machines which brings them to finished size 1/32 undersized.

• 10 years later...