New Wood Scrapper

banzai975

Hello All,

I am just getting into some wood working fun. My first plan is to build a nice rocking horse for our new daughter. I plan on trying my hand at other book shelves and small tables. My question is, where to start with tools? So far I am a simple guy with a cordless drill and a circular saw. Where should I go from here? My first thought is to get a jigsaw. Currently I am thinking about a nice Bosch. Should I get a cheaper jigsaw and save my limited funds for another tool? Should I get a router or another tool before a jigsaw? Any other great advice for a new wood scrapper?

-Paul

First, welcome! Great name, btw...

For that rocking horse, a jigsaw is perfect. Get a decent one as you'll use it for many things. The Bosch is very good. A jigsaw is great for breaking down rough wood and making curves. You'll need that for the rocking horse and if you want the small tables to have more interest, use the jigsaw there, too.

You'll likely want a random-orbit sander to go with it. Specifically for the rougher edges the jigsaw can leave plus, for the rocking horse, rounding the edges. Always useful.

Welcome to the WT World! We've been waiting on you! :) I agree with Paul on the jigsaw and I have 2 random orbit sanders that work great. Both are the 5" - a Dewalt for about $79 from the Depot and a reddish colored Black and Decker from Wal Mart for about 79 cents....can't tell a difference in performance

i just bought a lathe and i love it so far.............go lathe. actuly if you have the space i would buy for first big tool a band saw if you get a series of blades you can use it as a scroll/jig saw, table saw, make your own lumber. my favorite wood worker james krenov his first shop he started out with just a band saw.

If you asked me this question ten years ago, I would have said tablesaw. I use mine a ton and I wouldn't be able to work without it. However, I wish I would have learned how to use a bandsaw the way I see some of the fancy woodworkers use it. You can rip, resaw, make intricate cuts, etc with a good, larger bandsaw. For medium or smaller projects, a bandsaw can do a lot.

If you plan to make any cabinets, a table saw is good. But many others swear by the circ saws with tracks to keep them straight. That's always an affordable option.

Oh forgot to mention I did already have a random orbit sander so I should be good in there. The bosch saws I was looking at were the JS470EB (barrel grip), JS470E (D-handle), or JS260 (lower powered D-handle). Any thoughts? Anyone used these before? Any opinions on barrel vs D-handle (I have no strong preference so far).

Thank again all!

-Paul

• Like 1

I agree with Paul-Marcel on the barrel, I much prefer them to the D-handle and I find I get better control than with a D-handle. You can't go wrong with the Bosch brand either on a jigsaw. It was my first tool after a cordless drill, although mine was a cheaper skillsaw with the d-handle. I don't tend to use a jigsaw very frequently though. My first big tool purchase was a tablesaw, but if I had it to do over again, I'd probably have gone with a bandsaw first and tablesaw second.