Trying to install zero clearance on my TS and it rubs against it now.

ryandetzel

It did it with my dado insert too so it's not the blade. The instructions that came with the inserts say that there might be rubbing and to use a file to smooth it out. I guess I'll try that since nothing else seems to work.

I purchased this: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000909/35340/LEECRAFT-RIDGID-R4512-Table-Saw-ZeroClearance-Blade-Insert.aspx

Sounds to me like the blade is not perfectly square, but it could be out by only 1/128th or 1/64th. Where did you get the ZCI? I've thought about making one a few times, but the tray is so shallow it would be a big pain.

What kind of saw have you got? My first tablesaw was a delta TS-350 (below a contractor's saw) and the insert was about 1/8" thick. I was never able to properly put together a zero clearance insert due to the thinness of the material. Most larger saws though are about 1/2" thick (iirc) so you can make one out of just about anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds to me like the blade is not perfectly square, but it could be out by only 1/128th or 1/64th. Where did you get the ZCI? I've thought about making one a few times, but the tray is so shallow it would be a big pain.

I made a zcl for an old Craftsman saw my bil has (my old one) It has a shallow "tray"

I just routed a rabbitt around the edge, to leave a thin lip to support it.

check the sides of the teeth to see if there is any pitch / sap from the wood you've been cutting. I had the exact same thing happen on mine after ripping a bunch of teak (the oils built up on the sides enough to cause that rubbing sounds). Took a metal tooth brush and lightly cleaned each tooth. It helped a lot, but still had to go in and lightly file the sides of the ZCI...

Did you cut the ZCI with this blade? I had a similar and after a few days of use the rubbing went - you might want to clean the blade and or wax it. I just use beeswax.

on listening to this again - it sounds like the blade/teeth is out of true - try a new blade.

Annoying I know !!

good luck!