First piece of furniture done! Pics.

MidKnight

Hello all.

This is my first post on this board, but I thought I'd jump in because the design for my first furniture piece (I did one cabinet project before this) was cribbed heavily from Marc's Gadget Station.

Those of you that saw the gadget station get built will recognize the legs. I changed the proportions a bit, but it's pretty much the same.

The wood is Maple and Peruvian Walnut. The joinery was very very simple as this is my first rodeo. No M&T here. I used biscuits on the top and actually attached the rails to the panels on the aprons with biscuits as well. The aprons were then pocket screwed and glued into the legs. I put corner braces in and affixed the top with screws.

Where I really fell down was on the finishing. I used shellac and it's okay, but I'm just not good at it yet. I've bought Marc's book and DVD, but this is my first piece, so I have a lot of room to grow.

Thanks for looking!

End%252520Table%252520-%252520Rev%25252001.jpg

Thanks for the kind words!

The top is on there with screws. I put diagonal braces from apron to apron at all four corners. I then drilled an oversized hole in the braces. The top is affixed with screw and washers through the oversized holes in the braces. I think that this should allow for some movement. The piece isn't big, only 15" square at the top.

The legs were 24" long and 1.625" square. I glued two walnut boards together to thicken them up as I don't have access to 8/4 walnut. Then I milled them down to size. Any kind comments about the legs should be directed toward Marc as I pretty much aped his design and process on the bandsaw.

I should have used a different finish, but I have limited space. My "finish room" is still the basement where my pregnant wife has to do laundry. So, I can't really smell it up with poly as I wanted to. I wanted to use the same method outlined in Marc's dvd, but ah well.