Edge grain cutting board

susieq4131

It maybe too late to save face, but my first cutting board was an edge grain cutting board. Not a flat grain cutting board as I originally posted. Ok, I'm still learning the woodworking lingo. I can certainly see how a flat grain glue up design would warp out of shape. But thinking the edge grain design should hold up much better. The edge grain glue up method is also one of two methods I use for gluing up bowls.

Sorry about the confusion.

SQ

post-1522-048301500 1284308328_thumb.jpg

Nothing wrong with edge grain cutting boards. A little rougher on knives but still attractive and easier to make.

Thank you! I realize it's not the Cadillac of the cutting boards like an end grain design. This was fun and easy to make. I plan to make a few more of these and then try an end grain board. :)

SQ

Thank you! I realize it's not the Cadillac of the cutting boards like an end grain design. This was fun and easy to make. I plan to make a few more of these and then try an end grain board. :)

SQ

Nice cutting board Susie!

This doesn't have anything to do with your cutiing board but.....

... did you see this? I thought that I would try and make one too. I bet you could come up with some really nice ones.

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/

Scroll down a bit to where the daily blog starts. You will see a mug. I thought that you might like this, maybe not the contest, but the mug idea.

SQ

Edge grain can be just as beautiful as end grain and sometimes more difficult to make. Here's an edge grain I just I just finished a few days ago.

post-206-055897000 1284331223_thumb.jpg

Nice cutting board Susie!

This doesn't have anything to do with your cutiing board but.....

... did you see this? I thought that I would try and make one too. I bet you could come up with some really nice ones.

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/

Scroll down a bit to where the daily blog starts. You will see a mug. I thought that you might like this, maybe not the contest, but the mug idea.

Thank you for sharing the mug idea. No, I hadn't seen it, until now. I should keep a better eye on Steve's site. He constantly comes up with unique idea. :) Appreciate you mentioning this.

SQ

Edge grain can be just as beautiful as end grain and sometimes more difficult to make. Here's an edge grain I just I just finished a few days ago.

Rick,

It's a beauty! I've seen that design and looking forward to making it. Have the pattern saved in my favorites. What kind of wood did you use? What are the dimensions? Seems measurements will have to be very accurate to flip flop the decorative piece. That is a cutting board to be proud of! I use every tool in the shop except the table saw. I use the band saw, chop saw, circular saw, but I hate the table saw. I've had wood take flight while cutting it on the table saw. That's enough to make me avoid it when I can. Plan to make one of these, but will have my hubby assist me with cutting the pieces on the table saw. It's the only piece of shop equipment I really try to avoid. I don't like the table saw and it seems it doesn't like me.

Thanks for posting your cutting board! It's a real piece of art.

SQ

Looks like you don't need one. I use mine mostly for bringing veneers to thickness.

Keep up the great work! :)

iSawitFirst,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I work in the financial world where everything is very structured with policies and procedures. It's refreshing to get into the shop and create something - no policies or procedures limiting me. :)

I never thought about how veneer thicknesses were achieved. A drum sander certainly makes sense. Would be nice to have a drum sander for those end grain cutting boards I would like to make. :D

SQ

Too bad you're on the other side of the states. I'd be glad to let you use mine.

You could check with local woodworking shops to see if they would run it for you (take a bunch at one time). You should offer to pay something for setup and sand paper. You can sand a lot of cutting boards like this before coming close to the cost of a drum sander. :)

Too bad you're on the other side of the states. I'd be glad to let you use mine.

You could check with local woodworking shops to see if they would run it for you (take a bunch at one time). You should offer to pay something for setup and sand paper. You can sand a lot of cutting boards like this before coming close to the cost of a drum sander. :)

You are lucky I'm so far away. I could end up a serious pest. lol That's a good idea about contacting local woodworking shops. I will do that. Would certainly beat using an orbital sander. lol

SQ

I use every tool in the shop except the table saw. I use the band saw, chop saw, circular saw, but I hate the table saw. I've had wood take flight while cutting it on the table saw. That's enough to make me avoid it when I can.

SQ

SQ,

You need to learn how to use the table saw! It's one of the most used tools in the shop. Take a class or have hubby teach you how to use it properly. The biggest thing is don't be afraid to use any tool that you have. Unless the table saw is not safe to begin with. I don't want to sound like a nag, but I think if you learn how to use it safely it will open up a whole new world for you.

Good luck

NYHump

SQ,

You need to learn how to use the table saw! It's one of the most used tools in the shop. Take a class or have hubby teach you how to use it properly. The biggest thing is don't be afraid to use any tool that you have. Unless the table saw is not safe to begin with. I don't want to sound like a nag, but I think if you learn how to use it safely it will open up a whole new world for you.

Good luck

NYHump

NYHump,

You are right. The table saw is in great working order. I use it once in a great while, so I'm just not comfortable with it. I will have hubby show me again how to cut safely with it. I have some boards I need to cut into strips. Will be a perfect time to get more pointers and make sure I'm cutting the wood correctly. That table saw blade is intimidating. It's a monster compared to my lovely little scroll saw blade. blink.gif

SQ

Links

Several other safety videos mention table saws, or have general information which applies to table saws. Also, several of the project videos include explanations of specific table saw techniques used in that project.

Finally, here's something I wrote up when I gave a friend one of my old table saws. I figured I'd feel bad if I gave him the saw and he hurt himself doing something I could have warned him about. I dashed it off quickly, so the words ain't so good.

(I hope this isn't scary - I'm the kind of person where if I'm told specifically what to do I'm confident. What scares me is when people say, "Don't worry about it, just be careful." What's that supposed to mean?!?)

• fingers in blade are dangerous, but kickback is almost as dangerous and much more common
  • Not tired
  • not rushed
  • eye and hearing protection
  • no loose fitting jewelery or clothing
  • For through cuts, adjust blade so that between 1/8" (the cutting part of the tooth) and 1/4" is exposed.
  • don't stand in line with the cut - stand to the side so that as you lean forward you push down, towards the fence, and forward. If there's kickback, you're not in line with the wood.
  • Always push down and towards the fence, then forward. Push firmly, but don't use your weight. Your weight should be over your feet, so your body doesn't move if the wood does something unexpected.
  • use push sticks for through cuts, push pads for non-through cuts. Use a push stick that pushes down along the length of the piece, not just at the end.
    • Home made push sticks and pads are great.
    • Use all wood, no nails or screws
    • 1" or more thick above the work-piece
    • you can cut let the blade cut a home made push pad or stick
  • Use featherboards, board buddies, and hold-downs as extra hands
  • don't pinch blade - all sideways pushing before wood meets blade
  • If you meet resistance, hold wood where it is, do not move wood, turn saw off with leg, when saw has stopped remove wood and start cut over
  • Always support the longest dimension of the piece. Use the fence if ripping, miter gauge for cross-cutting. One of the cut pieces should be free to move away from the blade.
  • Never run a warped or uneven edge along the fence.
  • Keep blades clean and sharp. Blades can be sharpened many times. Consider buying a second blade to use while the first is being sharpened.
  • Check that the saw blade and fence are parallel to the miter slot when first setting up table and whenever you change blades or it might have been knocked out of alignment. Use an adjustable square in the slot. Mark one tooth of the blade and measure the distance to that tooth at front and back of opening.
  • Talk to family, etc, about shop safety
    • you can't hear them when the machines are running and you have hearing protection
    • when using a power tool you need to pay attention to the tool
    • So, don't try to get someone's attention when they are using a power tool
    • wait until they turn the tool off, then get their attention
    • don't stand near the person or the tool
    • don't distract the person using the tool

I expect lots of people will post saying that I'm wrong on one point or another. I expect I'll learn some things.

• Table Saw Safety Gear
  • Safety Q&A (first two questions are about table saws)
  • FineWoodWorking Table Saw Safety
  • Table Saw Experience
  • What If? (includes information on table saws)

Finally, here's something I wrote up when I gave a friend one of my old table saws. I figured I'd feel bad if I gave him the saw and he hurt himself doing something I could have warned him about. I dashed it off quickly, so the words ain't so good.

(I hope this isn't scary - I'm the kind of person where if I'm told specifically what to do I'm confident. What scares me is when people say, "Don't worry about it, just be careful." What's that supposed to mean?!?)

• fingers in blade are dangerous, but kickback is almost as dangerous and much more common
    • Not tired
    • not rushed
    • eye and hearing protection
    • no loose fitting jewelery or clothing
    • For through cuts, adjust blade so that between 1/8" (the cutting part of the tooth) and 1/4" is exposed.
    • don't stand in line with the cut - stand to the side so that as you lean forward you push down, towards the fence, and forward. If there's kickback, you're not in line with the wood.
    • Always push down and towards the fence, then forward. Push firmly, but don't use your weight. Your weight should be over your feet, so your body doesn't move if the wood does something unexpected.
    • use push sticks for through cuts, push pads for non-through cuts. Use a push stick that pushes down along the length of the piece, not just at the end.
      • Home made push sticks and pads are great.
        • Use all wood, no nails or screws
        • 1" or more thick above the work-piece
        • you can cut let the blade cut a home made push pad or stick

[*]Use featherboards, board buddies, and hold-downs as extra hands[*]don't pinch blade - all sideways pushing before wood meets blade[*]If you meet resistance, hold wood where it is, do not move wood, turn saw off with leg, when saw has stopped remove wood and start cut over[*]Always support the longest dimension of the piece. Use the fence if ripping, miter gauge for cross-cutting. One of the cut pieces should be free to move away from the blade.[*]Never run a warped or uneven edge along the fence.[*]Keep blades clean and sharp. Blades can be sharpened many times. Consider buying a second blade to use while the first is being sharpened.[*]Check that the saw blade and fence are parallel to the miter slot when first setting up table and whenever you change blades or it might have been knocked out of alignment. Use an adjustable square in the slot. Mark one tooth of the blade and measure the distance to that tooth at front and back of opening.[*]Talk to family, etc, about shop safety

[*]you can't hear them when the machines are running and you have hearing protection[*]when using a power tool you need to pay attention to the tool[*]So, don't try to get someone's attention when they are using a power tool[*]wait until they turn the tool off, then get their attention[*]don't stand near the person or the tool[*]don't distract the person using the tool

I expect lots of people will post saying that I'm wrong on one point or another. I expect I'll learn some things.

Beechwood,

We're trying to get her to "use" the table saw!! :)

Just kidding, great post!

NYHump

Several other safety videos mention table saws, or have general information which applies to table saws. Also, several of the project videos include explanations of specific table saw techniques used in that project.

Beechwood,
We're trying to get her to "use" the table saw!! :)
Just kidding, great post!
NYHump

What a great post! Thank you for all the information. The videos have been very helpful. I am hoping to make a few cuts tomorrow while my husband looks on to give me any pointers. I think it takes practice. I am 5'4" and that table is pretty wide. I think I could use longer arms. lol I know practice builds confidence. I want to be able to do this myself. I want to make another cutting board and have wood that needs to be cut. I have experienced kickback. One piece of wood sailed on by me and hit the garage door leaving a nice dent. Fortunately it doesn't show from the outside of the house and I was not hurt. But the experience has left an impression on me as well as the garage door. It's time to move on, learn from my mistakes, and learn how to do this - myself.

You guys are the best!

SQ

I've experienced kickback twice. The first time it hit a metal cabinet door and bent it out of shape. The second time it hit me in the chest leaving a "V" shaped bruise and sore ribs. Unfortunately I didn't have a riving knife at the time. It would have prevented both incidents.

The lesson learned is to never put off safety measures. Sadly, I'm a slow learner. :(