• 3.2k views
    • 0 replies
    • 21 replies
    • 4k views
    • 8 replies
    • 3.6k views

• Topics

• Looks like you're on the right track!
    • Got some shop time this morning. Thanks for all the suggestions. What I decided to try was finding a font I like and printing my nieces initials such that the stroke of the letters was 5/32" to match my 1/4" router bit bushing. What I came up with was comic sans 234. I would not have guessed comic sans would be what I would end up with, but at this size I like the simple but informal lines. I glue sticked the print outs to a pieces of 1/4" plywood and cut out the letters like shallow, weirdly shaped thru mortises - forstner bit, chisels, and sandpaper. I bought an 1/8" chisel and some gouges for this, but they turned out to be unnecessary. Experimental template routing. I've learned with a small bit and a bushing to take 3-4 passes and clear the saw dust between each - with the bushing there just is no place for the dust to go. Ignore the K in the upper right - I didn't tighten my bit enough and it started slipping. And epoxy applied. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have time to see how it cleans up and how it works when I put a curve on the face of the wood. I bought a tube of Gorilla epoxy for this test and used the whole tube. Ordered some Total Boat and pigment power for next run - hope that is thin enough to pour, which will make this a little easier. I bought the power as I understand it is less inclined to soak into the wood like dye.  
    • Interesting video, thanks for sharing! I did trip mine with wet plywood once. The only theory i have as to why the wet wood didn't trip it in the test was that it wasn't wet enough. His wet wood was around 30% which IS very wet, but our bodies contain much more than that.  It's also possible/probably that Sawstop has made refinements over the years and narrowed the swath of non-flesh materials that will trip the brake. So things that did trip out 10 years ago may not do so as frequently today. Just a theory though. 
    • As @wtnhighlander’s Jerry Closer’s video said, “knock him out John”! 
    • @Coop yes, those are the outside blades. They each have 12 teeth. The only issue with what you prescribed is the dado cartridge on a Sawstop will only work with an 8"stack. It won't accommodate a 10" blade, which is what i think you're using?  I was preparing to cut the tenons on top of the legs when this happened. I do have a 2nd miter gauge with a wooden fence on it but used this miter gauge today because the longer fence for the longer legs. Still though, you're absolutely right - the zero clearance sacrificial is a winner. Thanks! 
  • Popular Contributors