Grizzly 6" Jointer Questions

Lee Bussy

Have a line on a jointer, Grizzly 6", <$150.  This is an actual picture I've attached.  Anything I should be aware of when I go look at it?   It looks to be a generation back from the current ones.

Any comments on a 6" jointer vs others?  This will be the first one in my shop.

ETA:  This unit was built in 2000.

00Q0Q_kFRrUeZr4ol_600x450.jpg

Edited by LBussy

Just a few things to look over.

As always,  go into the purgatory knowing what you are willing to deal with, and what you're not. 

Bring a straight edge. Check the tables and fence for flatness.  The tables for me are a deal breaker,  the fence is not. 

Check for rust,binding or anything else in the adjusting mechanism for the fence and beds that does not look right or feel right. 

Push/pull on the cutter head for slack or wobble indication belt tension or bearing issues. 

Check the motor mounting hardware for cracks. 

Run the machine.  Does it sound right,  does the vibration level feel right. I brought a 6' 2x4 to check mine and actually jointed it right there. 

Are the blades in decent enough shape to be sharpened or chipped to hell and going to have to be replaced immediately. 

With a used machine,  there are always trade offs but buying a $175 machine you have to turn around and sell or put another $150 into becomes an issue. 

As for 6" vs 8", that one has been beaten to death.  Everyone has an opinion, none being inherently wrong.  Personally I wish I had skipped my used 6" and gone straight to my used 8" that I bought for a few bucks more than that pm machine will cost you by staying vigilant and patient. 

I hope that helps and didn't put you to sleep. 

There's a set of new replacement blades that come with it, so provided that part is right there's $30 or so.  Unless the ones in there are chipped of course and then it's just an even swap.  The guy never responded though so I'll assume it's gone.

I never know which of the jointers that I see are good or not.  I find a thread where someone discusses them and keep that info - then the next one that comes up is completely different.

Hey how about this one:

00N0N_13Tp08t7apn_600x450.thumb.jpg.65d7

00i0i_4Fgq3ijS5LX_600x450.thumb.jpg.b7aa

"Works good."  Probably same guy that posted the table saw the other day.

Edited by LBussy

Assuming that's a real question, I'd say keep looking. Those 3 foot joiners are worth their weight in paper machet.

Nah ... there was a post the other day where someone found a POS table saw and it said "works great" or something like that.   I was alluding to that other one rather tongue in cheek.

Those Geetech jointers have a pretty good track record under several brand names....Grizzly, Sunhill, Jet, Bridgewood, General International, and others.  The Grizzly G1182HW, which is the model with handwheels, was rated #1 by Wood Mag in the time period of September 2001, IIRC.  Mine's 13 or 14 years old now, and runs like new.

That one looks to be in pretty sweet condition.  If it checks out, I'd be all over it for $150.