Advice finalizing headboard design

estesbubba

OK, I've been looking at FWW #240 on how to build the platform and it does have a toe kick which will raise the platform. I also changed the draw fronts to make it looks like a continuous rail. I'm also thinking of putting a cove under the drawer fronts and not using hardware. 

Hopefully it looks less clunky now. Thanks for all the advice!

Bed.thumb.png.ee4efed467292c9d4cb7069b62

BedWalnut.thumb.png.2108b996f60390ba5291

• Like 1

I think the latest version looks good. Taller headboard = good. Toe Kick = good. No drawer pulls = good. Walnut = good.

Unless the bed is just a full size, or it's bigger but in a huge room, take care about how deep (front to back) to make the drawers. Need enough room to insert / remove them into the cae once the bed is in the room!

Now, that long center cavity that Steve mentioned is an excellent place to work in a secret compartment, maybe accessible through some puzzle-box contaption at the foot board.

My folks have a platform similar to this, on a full bed, and it still has a small dead area between the rows of drawers. It is made as two cases that split down the middle of the bed, and is still a beast to move through a doorway. Even with the drawers removed!

On 1/27/2016 at 11:49 AM, wtnhighlander said:

I think the latest version looks good. Taller headboard = good. Toe Kick = good. No drawer pulls = good. Walnut = good.

Unless the bed is just a full size, or it's bigger but in a huge room, take care about how deep (front to back) to make the drawers. Need enough room to insert / remove them into the cae once the bed is in the room!

Now, that long center cavity that Steve mentioned is an excellent place to work in a secret compartment, maybe accessible through some puzzle-box contaption at the foot board.

My folks have a platform similar to this, on a full bed, and it still has a small dead area between the rows of drawers. It is made as two cases that split down the middle of the bed, and is still a beast to move through a doorway. Even with the drawers removed!

Another consideration on the drawers is that if you have side tables then you can't open the drawer by the headboard without moving them (which for me would mean they never get used) You may want to size that first drawer to match the depth of your side tables, or even consider leaving a dead space with no drawer by the headboard

1 hour ago, Andy Wright said:

Another consideration on the drawers is that if you have side tables then you can't open the drawer by the headboard without moving them (which for me would mean they never get used) You may want to size that first drawer to match the depth of your side tables, or even consider leaving a dead space with no drawer by the headboard

I am going to make small floating end tables so we can use the full bottom for drawers. Since we're going from a queen to king sized bed we're trying to maximize floor space.