Spindle Sander - Floor Model Recommendations

Matt S

I would like to buy a floor model spindle sander. 

I do not have a local dealer with a showroom so all of my searching has been online. I looked at the Jet JOSS-S but I can't find many reviews of it. I also noticed the Laguna SS24, but there's even less reviews of it and I can only find one picture of it. I'd like to see what's under the hood.

What model do you have? What do you like or dislike?

I am aware of Grizzly, but I am not interested in owning any of their machines. 

I've had a benchtop spindle sander for about 10 years that is on its last legs.  It's a rebadged version of the Grizzly G0538.  It has 1/3 hp and I've never felt like it needed more power for the 3" spindle.  I tell you all that because I question why you think you need a 1 hp stationary machine.  You could buy 3 of the Jet benchtop units for the same money and be setup with 3 different sizes at the same time.  Trust me, I've actually thought about having two of them to cut down on changing.  I wore out the wrenches that came with it.  Then I wore out the nut that tightens down on the spindles.  

Bigger spindles are useful but I don't think 4" is worth 3x the price over 3".

Like Steve, I have an edge sander.  That's a much better tool for aggressive sanding when the job allows for it.  Belts last a lot longer than sleeves and are easier to change.  I would heartily recommend putting your money into that and a benchtop spindle sander if you don't already have an edge sander.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt S said:

I am aware of Grizzly, but I am not interested in owning any of their machines. 

I totally sympathize with this sentiment, and the two machines you listed are certainly better quality and heavier duty...but I have this combo sander and I've found it to be a great value and totally adequate for my usage.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Oscillating-Spindle-12-Disc-Sander/G0529?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

g0529-b8a9382be9759e0697465e2cd74344cf.j

Again, it's a value machine.  But there's a lot of bang for your buck here and unless you're running a pro shop you probably don't need the big boy spindle sander.  Food for thought.  I'm not a fan of Grizzly either but sometimes it doesn't make sense to go elsewhere.  Occasionally.  Rarely.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I totally sympathize with this sentiment, and the two machines you listed are certainly better quality and heavier duty...but I have this combo sander and I've found it to be a great value and totally adequate for my usage.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Oscillating-Spindle-12-Disc-Sander/G0529?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

g0529-b8a9382be9759e0697465e2cd74344cf.j

Again, it's a value machine.  But there's a lot of bang for your buck here and unless you're running a pro shop you probably don't need the big boy spindle sander.  Food for thought.  I'm not a fan of Grizzly either but sometimes it doesn't make sense to go elsewhere.  Occasionally.  Rarely.

hows the dust collection on it?

Guest Randy

I have a spindle sander I've owned for about 20 years made by Rockwell (the old company). Basically it just sits in a corner and is used about once every year or less. Unless you have a real need to sand curves on a regular basis I would recommend going with as low cost machine as possible; a bench top rather than a floor model or even look for a used one. I don't believe there is a need to buy a heavy duty spindle sander unless you are running a production shop where you use it daily.

I have a Shop Fox (Grizzly) and it has serviced me well for over a decade. I have two Grizzly products in my shop and both are sanders and both have worked very well for me. Given that, I personally would not be willing to pay more for a similar function machine. Now if we were talking bandsaws I would agree and would stick with my two Laguna machines.

Eric - thanks for the info on the Grizzly unit. I value your opinion on many topics and your endorsement means a lot. I have a PM belt & disc sander, so the unit you have wouldn't be the right one for me. I have looked at the Grizzly floor model and can't seem to commit to it. Now the Shop Fox looks to be very similar to the Grizzly and it would look much nicer in my shop. Even if it is the same machine it's worth a few more hundred dollars based on paint color alone. 

pkinneb - do you have the W1686 model? What are your likes and dislikes of the unit?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AceHoleInOne said:

I have the Craftsman bench top spindle sander with the MDF table. All that I ever needed. Save yourself the shop space and expense. I use it all the time.

-Ace-

I am not interested in a bench top. I do not want it on any existing bench surface. So that would require buying or building a stand. Considering a stand is required I am not saving much floor space. I view it as losing table space/work surface if I chose a bench top. Extra expense is inconsequential. 

57 minutes ago, Matt S said:

I am not interested in a bench top. I do not want it on any existing bench surface. So that would require buying or building a stand. Considering a stand is required I am not saving much floor space. I view it as losing table space/work surface if I chose a bench top. Extra expense is inconsequential. 

I have mine on top of a low storage drawer cabinet for quick use.  When the project Im working on requires heavy use, I simply move it to my work bench. Just saying and works for me. :)

-Ace-

Just food for thought, but...  Things like a spindle sander or a 12" disc sander don't benefit as much from the application of more money as most tools.  For example the various inexpensive bench top spindle sanders are all pretty good.

Just as an example of the kind of tool that has some minimal standard that has to be met to make it a good tool...  Even Harbor Freight sells a pretty nice 12" disc sander is a real work horse.  I like mine enough that I have no desire to replace it with anything better.

If I were to upgrade my Triton spindle sander I'd probably be thinking of getting an edge sander and even then would keep the Triton.

I don't claim to know your specific usage, so maybe a real production heavy duty tool is required.  I just have a hard time imagining that being the case in anything but a high production commercial shop.