Making Toy chest/organizer

Scooter67

I would like some advice. In a different post I asked if I could put dovetails in plywood for a certain project and the response very good. Here I would like to expand, if I had a scanner I would upload a sketch but I will try to explain my thoughts. I will have two vertical sides with a top (called the carcuss) and then a middle shelf where I will make three pull out drawers and then under the middle shelf I plan on two large bin totes with rolling caster and a pull rope to move it around a play room. My question is I was thinking of making the carcuss out of birch plywood. The top would have a rabbet joint with the rabbet cut is on the top end piece. Major question is what is the best fastening method? I read in a woodworking book that using screws or nails through the face of plywood is very good but the shank of either the screw or nail going into the end of plywood would cause the layer to start splitting. I would consider MDF yet I was also told on this forum that MDF does not take screws or nails very good and becomes weak. Any suggestions on how I can build this carcuss and the drawers?

I build this Toy Organizer out of 1/2 ply with just glue and rabbets. It has held up great the only problem I have the hinge screws are very small and they tend to get loose.

I should have used 3/4 but other than that it works.

41781-438x.jpg?1233683738

You did not use any fasteners? I am surprised that the glue is that strong. The top of my so called toy organizer will be painted so my daughter can use it as a desk to do drawings or paint or play-do. It should be sturdy enough to sit on and play with her dolls. I was going with plywood because I know it is pretty flat and planing is not necessary. I only have a table saw and router. I do not even have a hand plane. This is called starting in woodworking very basic. Unemployment is not fun so right now I am looking at cheap but also make it as nice as possible. I was thinking about possibly using keen inserts but I am not sure if that too will split the ends of plywood.

Yep glue in Dados and Rabbets make a very strong joint.

I do not think I can just use just glue because of the abuse the top will get. Knowing my kids, they will sit on it, stand on it, and jump off of it so I want it to be really study. I was going to use MDF but most people on this forum have said not to use it because it does not accept screws all that well. I thought plywood but now I amnot sure if plywood would accept screws that well. I do not have a planer or jointer so getting really rouogh lumber may be out of the question. UGH!!!!

Plywood accepts screws fine, if you pre-drill. I like to hold the drill bit in front of the screw, and pick a drill bit where I can see the screw threads but not the body. MDF also isn't strong enough for kids to jump on, but 3/4" plywood will be strong enough.

You can't just use screws, you need to use glue with dados or rabbets, but the screws can help to pull the carcass together.

Plywood accepts screws fine, if you pre-drill. I like to hold the drill bit in front of the screw, and pick a drill bit where I can see the screw threads but not the body. MDF also isn't strong enough for kids to jump on, but 3/4" plywood will be strong enough.

You can't just use screws, you need to use glue with dados or rabbets, but the screws can help to pull the carcass together.

I was also thinking about possibly using keen insert (I think that is what they are called). Also, I think I will need to router the edges over so there is no sharp corners. I am still planing the actual design and when I am done and can upload it I will post it with more questions.

• 3 months later...

I still have not started my toy organizer for my daughter. I keep adding and deleting from from plans. I am still thinking of what materials to use. Do I use dimensional lumber like 1X12's or plywood or MDF? I looked into MDF and it is pretty cheap compared to plywood and I research how to fasten MDF together, using comfirmat screws or I have had success with those brass inserts but I do not think it has the strength to hold up to generations of kids. I have considered dimensional lumber like 1X12's but the problem here is I do not have a planer or joiner also, one piece in my design needs to be at least 13" wide. Being 13" wide I would need to use a biscuit and glue two 1x12 together and then rip down to 13". I do not have a biscuit joiner either. So plywood is my best option so far. I did some research and Baltic Birch has gotten expensive, $45.00 to $60.00 a sheet of 5x5 plywood from a lumber yard and not from Lowes or Home Depot. My fear is that I will screw things up, which I normally do, and I spent that much money and ruined the project to the point I need to get more. I have a great thinking mind to solve problems but most of the time I cannot get my hands to work with the mind. They are always three steps back and I usually end up cutting something to small or on the wrong side. My plan now is to get the Baltic Birch plywood, cut two 12" side supports, cut a 13" wide board, then add two dadoes on the underside of the 13" wide top for the two supports. Then about 10" down from the top on both support sides I will add a dado on each side for a 12" wide shelf. To hide the plywood I was thinking about adding a false front by using wood strips but if I am going to paint this with latex colored paint, will I need to add a false front or will the paint cover the plywood look? I will try and post pictures of my design this week.