New barstools, looking for glide recommendations

Spring is springing in southeast Nebraska and I trying to wrap up one last project before my window of time completely closes. We’ve needed 4 new/different barstools for a while now and around Christmas I convince the Dept of War and Finance that I could build them significantly cheaper and better than anything we could purchase…I we can pick exactly what we want (A&C style, QSWO). I dry-fit the first one together Saturday (but all the pieces are cut for the remaining 3) and have started thinking about the finish. Typically, I’ve used an aniline dye/orange shellac/polyurethane sequence, but wanted to try fuming with ammonia this time. All I can find locally is hardware store grade, got some 30% coming from Amazon…we’ll run some tests over the weekend and figure out what works best. Here’s where I need the advice of the group (because I couldn’t find anything I liked): what are your recommendations for feet/glides for hardwood floor? I’m hesitant to use plastic or felt; with 5 kids and a rural home, there’s constantly dirt/grit on the floor that I’m worried about getting embedded and causing scratches. That leaves metal glides…nail on? Anything better? Something like these:

Open to suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

chair.jpg

Feet.jpg

• Like 1

I think that metal slides are going to be more likely to scratch a wood floor than plastic.

If you decide to reconsider felt those Ruby Sliders advertised on late night TV (and available at Lowes) actually work.  And they go on & off without tools. 

• Like 1

We face this conundrum as well. We tend to go with the hard whitish plastic they make furniture glides out of (e.g.) which seems to resist most stuff getting embedded in it.

We switched to the felt ones.  One slide with one of those nail stubs after the nail breaks will do more damage than a lot of use with a chair with none.  You can tell when one of the felt ones comes off.  We just keep spares on hand.  They stick for a long time to a finished chair leg bottom but not long on bare wood.

We use the Ruby sliders in the rental house and have not had to replace one of those with all sorts of different people staying in that house.  They aren't invisible though.

• Like 2

GET PTFE plastic It is slippery. Comes in sheets. Comes in colors.  I get some at 1/2" and cut pieces smaller than the leg. It cuts, routes and drills. It will hold a screw but requires accurate pilot and slip holes. It won't glue or paint or sand. I drill slip holes with a countersink. 2 screws to each. It is tough as iron. I also use it outside. the legs must be on masonry. The plastic stops wicking on the bottom of the legs.

• Like 2