I don't know what I'm doing wrong

For the life of me I can't make things square ! 

I need help before I make any more sawdust

I ran this mdf sheet across the jointer to get a square edge, I then used that edge against the rip fence of the TS to give me two parallel edges ( or so I thought)

The left hand side of the bottom photo is the edge I ran across the jointer , the top photo shows the differences between both edges using the square from either edge

I have no clue what I'm doing wrong

PXL_20240609_235009480.jpg

PXL_20240609_234951397.MP.jpg

You trust your square? And do you trust how you're aligning it to the edge of the MDF? With a piece this big, I've certainly made mistakes trying to hold a square flush along an edge while trying to trace a line with my third hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you have a long straight edge to check the edge you jointed? I’ve never thought MDF a good candidate for that process. I’d rather rig a straight line rip on a table saw, or rig a track for a circ saw. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 10:12 AM, Von said:

You trust your square? And do you trust how you're aligning it to the edge of the MDF? With a piece this big, I've certainly made mistakes trying to hold a square flush along an edge while trying to trace a line with my third hand.

Von, you are spot on !

I don't know why I didn't think to check the square before, my newest square which I thought was neat because it has this angled plastic piece mounted to it so it rests against the edge of the material instead of trying to have to hold it flush is secured with grub screws and this piece has moved !

I just did the square check and both mine are out !

I feel like a dumbass not even thinking about this first 

PXL_20240610_001643208.jpg

• Like 1

@oldman_pottering After many years of similar frustrations, and learning that my squares were not, indeed, square, i got a square from a premium manufacturer that's supposed to be guaranteed square within a gazillionth of an inch or something. 

And that helped immensely as i now have a true reference square that i can count on both for machine setup and layout tasks. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 9:31 PM, Ron Swanson Jr. said:

And that helped immensely as i now have a true reference square that i can count on both for machine setup and layout tasks. 

https://www.woodpeck.com/woodpeckers-26-and-18-precision-woodworking-squares.html?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpZWzBhC0ARIsACvjWRNFiDewgFpz6-dQ8zk1_oT1h6BmXdtTK4l4XgrNUBDZmDcRjGS_X7kaAk7VEALw_wcB

A link to well made and high price squares.

https://www.incrementaltools.com/INCRA_Miter_5000_p/miter5000.htm An incra 5000 mitre that will cross cut panels 24" wide repeatable and accurate for the least money.

On 6/10/2024 at 10:23 AM, Tpt life said:

Do you have a long straight edge to check the edge you jointed? I’ve never thought MDF a good candidate for that process. I’d rather rig a straight line rip on a table saw, or rig a track for a circ saw. 

I guess I used the jointer because I have no idea what I'm doing.

I do have a straight rip jig for the TS but this piece was too big..........................but I also have a straight rip guide thingy that clamps to the workpiece for use with the circ saw

After using this gizmo and checking with my unsquare squares I thought this process was garbage too but now I know better ;)

On 6/10/2024 at 11:10 AM, Von said:

Glad I could help. Been there....

thanks again

On 6/10/2024 at 11:31 AM, Ron Swanson Jr. said:

@oldman_pottering After many years of similar frustrations, and learning that my squares were not, indeed, square, i got a square from a premium manufacturer that's supposed to be guaranteed square within a gazillionth of an inch or something. 

I have since checked a local supplier for Woodpeckers squares but the cost is out of my league at the moment, I will try to get something in the intermediate range

On 6/10/2024 at 11:36 AM, curlyoak said:

Thank you, I do have the Incra miter express but my trouble is having a straightedge to begin with

On 6/10/2024 at 4:39 AM, oldman_pottering said:

I have since checked a local supplier for Woodpeckers squares but the cost is out of my league at the moment, I will try to get something in the intermediate range

FWIW, I don't own any Woodpeckers, so may just not know what I'm missing but I bought some mid-range rulers (Pinnacle from Woodcraft, don't know how that translates to your side of the globe) and found them much better than what I had previously from the local big box stores such that I'm content for now.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 9:11 PM, Ron Swanson Jr. said:

@oldman_potteringsome other things to check: 

Is your jointer fence square to the tables? 

Is your tablesaw rip fence parallel to the blade? 

Your tablesaw miter gauge/crosscut sled etc has already been mentioned but I'm in the camp that it should be square to the miter slot. 

. Good luck

yes, all these are set correctly

thank you

• Like 1