Curved-lid Treasure Boxes

Von

On 6/10/2024 at 9:22 AM, Mark J said:

Trim router and letter template?  Is the lid thick enough for a 1/4" groove?

Yes, the top starts out at 3/4" thick and the curve drops off 1/4" from center to the edge (~3" of distance). There is a 1/4" recess in the center of the bottom to strengthen the illusion of a curve, so there is at least 1/4" of material from edge-to-edge in the center of the top that isn't touched and I think the top is at least 3/8" thick at its thinest point (somewhere about 2/3 from the center to the edge).

The curve is on top is shallow enough that if I keep my letters 1-1.5" tall I think the slope from center to top/bottom of the letter will only be 1/16"-3/32".

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Epoxy still feels a little rubbery this morning. Since I got stuff going on the next couple of days, I'm going to give it those days to cure and hope it feels less like something that will make a sticky mess when I try to work it.

My plan is to flush trim the excess epoxy with a router and then sand. I welcome thoughts from anyone with experience working the stuff.

On 6/27/2024 at 6:10 AM, Von said:

Epoxy still feels a little rubbery this morning. Since I got stuff going on the next couple of days, I'm going to give it those days to cure and hope it feels less like something that will make a sticky mess when I try to work it.

My plan is to flush trim the excess epoxy with a router and then sand. I welcome thoughts from anyone with experience working the stuff.

I had some West Systems stuff that remained just a bit soft for days.  Turned out that although the packaging said it was "sandable" when cured there was no way.  It would gouge, heat friction fail, and pill up.  They sent me an alternative product that worked great other than the fact that I had to re-do the project.

• Like 1