WIP - Curved Box Lid Handles

Thanks guys. What are your thoughts on the square box? The more I looked at it, I felt that the box should be rectangluar...longer and narrower to emphasize the length and shape of the handle. I'll have to drop this into the critique forum once I finish the two boxes.

You must get your blog updated rolleyes.gif.

Thanks guys. What are your thoughts on the square box? The more I looked at it, I felt that the box should be rectangluar...longer and narrower to emphasize the length and shape of the handle. I'll have to drop this into the critique forum once I finish the two boxes.

Yes, it should - in theory. That's what most would expect. So it's 'wrong' but in an interesting way. You have symmetry below, and asymmetry above. Square slip feathers below, round dowels above. It works very nicely.

John

I'd grant you that the box doesn't add to the handle’s impact. But it is good for prototype #1. I see you have more handles. Keep those and explore other options for the box.

If you look back at the iconic work from the established folks, you'll see that their signature pieces evolved over time.

Stick to it, will be fun to see the path your choose.

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, we need those for a meeting Thursday afternoon.

No rush though!

; )

@john - :) I do need to get another update up there! This weekend I'll actually be prepping some of the shop for a move. Our time here in the Twin Cities has been short (but sweet!) We're headed out to the Denver area now, so I may be shopless for a couple months! :o There is a good chance I'll go crazy!

Fortunatley the MN house sold very quickly...just a shade over 24 hours! Hopefully we'll have as easy a time finding a new place that we'll like in CO.

I may not get to the second box lid this weekend, but I would like to get a finish on this one before we head out.

Done! See the latest write-up and copious pictures over at the blog.

http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/2011/06/form-over-function.html

I'll post some more pics over in the critique forum as well.

We're fixing to pack the house (and shop) up soon, so shop time will be down to zero until we find a new place out in Colorado.

post-2321-0-57392000-1309160433_thumb.jp