I wish more people would think like woodworkers

marist

I am a buyer for a contractor lumber yard. I was out in the warehouse today checking inventory when I saw this pile of mahogany in the garbage :o We had just received a skid of tongue and groove porch flooring and these were the slats used to keep the pile stable. They are roughly 1/4"x1-3/4"x36" pieces. I was in the middle of pulling them out of the trash when the poor guy who put the skid away happened to walk by. "What were you thinking man, this is MAHOGANY!" I yelled at him. "You've got to think like a wood worker! I can make something out of this!" We've worked together a long time so he just laughed and promised not to throw away any more wood. This is the kind of story that I tell my wife and she just rolls her eyes :D but I thought you folks might enjoy it.

post-4947-0-13444600-1308804428_thumb.jp

Good save man! Yeah its not just wood either I dont know how many things I have saved from the trash that a squirt of oil or tighten a screw and the thing is 100% functional again its a shame but I guess the alternative would suck to tho if everyone thought like us then we would never find anything for free! :D

Don't complain too loudly...they'll catch on an want to charge us top dollar for the scraps! :rolleyes:

That's always been my feelings. If my boss knew there was a market to sell this stuff to (discounted or not) I'd NEVER get anything for free. Every shelf, cabinet, and drawer in my shop is made from scraps I took home :D

I am a buyer for a contractor lumber yard. I was out in the warehouse today checking inventory when I saw this pile of mahogany in the garbage :o We had just received a skid of tongue and groove porch flooring and these were the slats used to keep the pile stable. They are roughly 1/4"x1-3/4"x36" pieces. I was in the middle of pulling them out of the trash when the poor guy who put the skid away happened to walk by. "What were you thinking man, this is MAHOGANY!" I yelled at him. "You've got to think like a wood worker! I can make something out of this!" We've worked together a long time so he just laughed and promised not to throw away any more wood. This is the kind of story that I tell my wife and she just rolls her eyes :D but I thought you folks might enjoy it.

post-4947-0-13444600-1308804428_thumb.jp

Best. Humblebrag. Ever.

Ditto on the palletwood - I have snagged a few from tile places too! I always keep my eye out for roadside treasures - people throw away broken furniture, old cabinets, stair parts, old doors, etc that still have a lot of good wood in them.