Wet Grinder Sharpening

BigBen

I just ordered Grizzly Wet Grinder . My question is will I need to still use my waters stones for plane irons and chisels?

I've got a wet sharpening/honing machine, which to me is not at all like a dry grinder/shaper. My final honing is done on a dedicated leather wheel. This leaves my blades about like 4000 to 8000 Norton water stone polished. Without the leather strop, I would guess the blade to be like a 1000 to 2000 N.w.s. and thus unpolished.

YMMV.

Good luck.

Archie

I am very interested to hear what your results are like with this tool. No experience with one but I would want to use the higher stones 4000/8000 and a leather strop after that (just a guess) or as mentioned a leather wheel with polishing compound to put that final polish on things.

• 4 months later...

But it will take you a lot less time on the wet grinder than with stones to get that bevel or remove that nick. You will still need to go thru the higher grit stones to hone your edge. I would be interested to know if it works using the leather wheel instead of the 800, 1200, and 8000 stones. That might save a lot of time, too!

• 2 weeks later...