down draft sanding station help

so how well do downdraft sanding stations actuly work? can i keep my work clean and clear of saw dust? what are some tricks to making it work as strong as i can get it to work? i have a heavy wooden desk that someone build out of 2X4 and i have been sanding on top of that since it is a good highght for alot of the kids. it has about a 3 inch set in table top that i was going to convert into a down draft sanding table. should i even bother? or should i just hook the shop vac up to all 3 of our sanders with a 3 way spliter?

I made a small down draft table that is easy to do for sanding small projects. Mine is really small, 12" x 24" because I make allot of smaller boxes and things.

I made a frame out of 1" x 3" (3/4" x 2-1/2") and cut a round hole in the center of one of the longer sides to fit the outside diameter of my shop vac hose. I glued and screwed a piece of 1/4" ply to one side of the frame and covered it with that non skid router material and a piece of 1/8" thick peg board (3/16" holes spaced at 1" apart) on the top side.

I store it on a shelf when not in use and drag it out to the top of my bench and stick the shop vac hose in the hole and turn it on to use it. It works very well, in fact I have had to shut off the vac to remove a part because of the suction holding it down.

I'm sure you will want a larger more durable down draft work top and maybe even use a dust collector instead of a shop vac for yours. But, for a space saving dust collector used mainly for sanding occasionally, it works great for me.

Rog

ok i got the downdraft table done. i fiddle with it for a while figured out the less volume inside the box the better so i set it up to have a very shallow slope only like 5 degree slope into a channel that i built in desk top. i dont think that ill ever be able to suck up heavy sawdust but it will suck up the tiny stuff that i dont want to breath. that and the the dust collecter mounted to the wall that cleans the air i think we will be good. next step is to set up power strip so that when ever you want to run a sander you have to turn on the power strip. the shop vac will always be on so the power strip will be in essence be there shop vac on and off switch........hahahaha try to not run the cleaning system in my shop punks.