New Table saw

Hi every one. Well on Thursday I was lucky enough to bye a new table saw. Its a Ridgid R4512. It's great and a needed up grade for my hobby. My question is. Were can I bye Boeshield T-9? Other then Amazon? or on line. The only place i can seem to find it is on on line. Is ther a store that sells it? I have read and watched people use this on ther table saw. So if every one uses it it cant be bad.

Welcome to the forum. Boeshield is a good product and you can probably find it at Woodcraft or Rockler. If you are serious about woodworking, I would suggest reading up on products, tools, materials, etc to understand WHY so many other woodworkers use the products. There are some things that many woodworkers use but really make no sense to me. Just because it isn't bad, doesn't mean it's good either. What I am trying to say it that you should make sure that what you buy is suitable for YOU.

Boeshield is used as a surface protectant and lubricant. It's best purpose is to help prevent rust. It does make surfaces slicker than bare metal, but I find that paste wax is better for this. So if rust isn't an issue for you, perhaps a can of paste was would be more useful for you.

Have fun.

I was a pilot once upon a time, and I seem to remember that some of the guys used Boeshield to prevent corrosion on their airplanes. So if you're near an airport where little airplanes hang out, check out the pilot's shop and I bet you'll find some Boeshield for sale at some incredibly inflated price that will convince you to order it from Amazon anyway! :)

-- Russ

I would have to agree with Flairwoodworks.. I have the Boesheild T-9 and I dont really like it. I personally use the Bostik Topcote. I have used this for about two years now. I have no problem with rust. I have also used paste wax as well. What you will find, is that everyone has their own opinion on what works. But it also does depend on your environment. SOmeone in Florida will prob not have the same results as someone in Wisconsin.. Good luck with the new saw.

Thanks all for the great advice. Ill try to give a better explanation to my rust problem. My so called shop is actually a car port and exposed to the elements. All my tools get stored in a small 6 foot by 10 foot storage shed. The only one that is out side is the TS. I live in the south were the humidity is at least 80 plus. To minimize rust I cover the saw every night with news paper and a tarp.

Thanks all for the great advice. Ill try to give a better explanation to my rust problem. My so called shop is actually a car port and exposed to the elements. All my tools get stored in a small 6 foot by 10 foot storage shed. The only one that is out side is the TS. I live in the south were the humidity is at least 80 plus. To minimize rust I cover the saw every night with news paper and a tarp.

In that case, I would wipe down all of your cast iron with paste wax, topcote, or boeshield every week, whether you've used the machines not. I got rust pitting on a brand new cast iron table saw that I had lovingly waxed as soon as I got it. It just takes a drop of water and a couple of weeks. I now wipe down all of my cast iron whenever I work in the shop, whether I used that tool or not. My shop is indoors, so I think you'll need to wax them even when you don't use the shop.

It's nto a big deal - I just grab the rag I used last time that still has some wax on it and give everything a quick wipe. Sometimes I spray on topcote and then wipe it down. The spray stuff (Topcote) is very convenient for a quick touch up, but I use Johnson's Paste Wax when I'm giving it the full treatment. I've heard that you can use any spray wax (as opposed to Topcote). Most people say to avoid waxes with silicon, "because it can interfere with finishing", but some people have said that it isn't a problem. It's not hard for me to avoid silicon, so why risk it?

I noticed that Briwax has an aerosol can of silicone-free wax now. While I wouldn't use it on a whole sawdeck surface (cuz paste is cheaper), you can at least use it to spray wax in those hard to reach places, although T-9 might work great in those places, too. Certainly the spray wax is nice for the topside of hand planes, whatever those are...

If I were you I would make a cover for your saw that completely seals it from the elements but doesn't actually touch the cast iron, Boeshield and a lot of wax very very often, and I would also look into something along the same lines as this. May I ask why you didn't go with a granite top? While I don't like them for the simple fact that you can't use magnets on them it seems like it would be perfect for your situation. Hope you like your new saw!!

Nate

I live in southeast Texas where only the humidity is higher than the temperature, so I know what you are facing with iron and steel surfaces. I’ve tried all the above referenced surface treatments but the little yellow can of past wax on cast iron surfaces and camellia oil on steel blades, chisels, etc. is all that I used these days and it’s at least a monthly chore to keep the rust from taking hold. A can of past wax will last a long time and it doesn’t cost much unlike the fancy spray on stuff. Just my humble opinion.

Miles