Revo Jr/. review

Let me first start by saying a huge Thank You to Marc and Danettte for this opportunity. Its great to get sample tools of any kind and you have been more than generous in letting us try the other clamps as comparators in our feedback experiment. They say "don't look a gift horse in the mouth " but you want honest feedback and you will get it.

My first impressions and initial use:

Appearance:

Although, this sounds like a superficial topic, its important when choosing to purchase one clamp over another from a picture or in a store. The Uniklamps definitely look cheap and small, so the Revo Jr. are a definite advantage. They look more like the regular Revo and appear more sturdy and strong. I also like the look of the slide off plastic "liners" which make it appear more substantial- more about that later. The appearance of the small red handle on the Revo Jr. is a detraction, make it like the Revo if price permits and you will win more people over.

Cost:

Based on the list prices given comparing all 3 lines for the 24'' clamps, I really think this is a good compromise price. I would definitely pay $11 more than then the Uniklamp for a bigger better, stronger clamp.

Use:

I dont like the small wooden handle on the Revo Jr. its too small and slick , especially when comparing to the beefy larger grip on the Revo. Yes it is biggger than the Uniklamp grip but needs to be changed if costs permit.

As others have said , I had a really hard time opening and closing or sliding the Revo Jr. and Uniklamp. I even emailed Danette asking if there is an "official" guideline on how to open and close. Response was to raise grip bar but this does not always make it slide easier, I find it very variable. It is unlike the Revo which slides very smoothly. The noise and grinding the Revo Jr makes made me think the serrations on the bar would grind down with time and use or the locking mechanism would wear out quickly.

Initial summary: I like the Revo Jr clamps and find them very functional. Changes I would make include a larger plastic grip handle like the Revo and an easier sliding mechanism. Otherwise a great compromise clamp.

More to come after some more time and use.