Clamping Puzzle

So I'm working on a clamping strategy for my guild build chest of drawers but I've hit a snag. As you can see in the pictures below, I'm in good shape to get a 90º setup for the front legs. The web frames (not shown yet) allow for me to get a quick clamp on my clamping cauls and the legs.

post-90-0-92944600-1310237348_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-36189200-1310237264_thumb.jpg

The problem is in the back clamp up. The back is a piece of 1/2 plywood, which sits in a rabbet. I'm going to nail the back on, Norm-style, with some brads or maybe staples.

Unfortunately, this configuration leaves no way to attach the back cauls to the legs with clamps. Arruugh!

post-90-0-60135100-1310237214_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-97120600-1310237252_thumb.jpg

One method I contemplated was double-sided tape. However, I'm concerned about two things:

1. Left over residue being a pain to remove and possibly affecting the finish

2. The fact that the two cauls don't seamlessly meet up with their mates. Perhaps clamping them on before the back goes in might resolve this.

So, my fellow problem solvers, what do you think? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Shawn

All you care about is holding the caul in position while you apply the big clamps, right?

If so, try this: Attach a couple of scraps of thin plywood to the caul so that they overlap the leg on either side. Then use a clamp to squeeze the plywood pieces against the leg. The picture shows what I'm trying to describe, as it would appear if you were looking down from the top.

post-685-0-68729800-1310251215_thumb.jpg

-- Russ

can you glue up the carcass in one step without the plywood back, and then install the plywood back after the glue-up?

I was trying to glue up one side at a time to avoid the stress of getting everything together in one shot. I've never done a glue up this big so I'm a bit apprehensive. I'll keep your suggestion in mind though since it would help with my problem.

-Shawn

I'd glue up one side (front leg, back leg, bottom rail, top rail and panel), then the other side, then glue up the two sides with cauls and clamping blocks to keep it all square, and then attach the back. It would be handy to use the plywood back to keep the back square, but I'd still want clamping blocks to keep the front square, so you might as well use clamping blocks on the back, too. That way the playwood back won't get in the way of your glue-up. In fact, the quick-clamp that hold the clamping block can also hold the caul.

Clamping block.

Thanks for the help guys. I went through your ideas last night and settle on using a clamp to hold the cauls on from side (i.e. 90º to how I held on the front parts). It's the simplest thing and it's because of your ideas that I arrived here.

Thanks again.

-Shawn