I clamped till I couldn't clamp no more!

For a little context, my experience level is that of a novice and the clamps I use are predominantly F-style clamps. Generally of the cheap variety. The project I used to test these clamps was a set of raised garden beds that required significant clamping pressure to pull boards straight and to clamp miters tight for joinery, often requiring the use of 6-8 clamps at a time. See attached photo for context. post-12-0-69201300-1310518474_thumb.jpeg

First impressions

Out of the box I noticed that these are some heavy duty. From a cursory impression the Jrs do look like a smaller/younger version of the Revo. The face plates came off a few of the clamps in shipping which isn't a big deal. I do appreciate the little plastic spacers which were a nice touch to keep any workpieces off the rails.

In use

I used the Jrs first before touching any of the other clamps. To me they felt substancial. The handle on these felt better than the uniklamps because of their size--my hands dwarfed these tiny little handles. Moving back after trying the Revos proved to create quite a point of contrast, making me wish the JRs inherited a few more traits from their father. I guess comfort is a recessive gene. The Jrs clamping mechanism felt like it stuck a little bit but I'm used to wrestling with the trash clamps that I own, so this was still a step up. The Revo was significantly more smooth and the uniklamps slid effortlessly as well. I attribute this to quality of parts and weight respectively.

General marketing thoughts and conclusion

One thing that struck me was the value proposition of these clamps. Based on my observation the difference between the clamps is the following:

• Quality of the Clamping Mechanism
  • The handle is smaller and wooden
  • The padded sticker is replaced with a flat paper sticker
  • The rail is thinner
  • The face is smaller

What I would like to have seen--and what feels like would have been a more effective move from Bessey's stand point--is the Revo Jr marketed as a different breed of Revo, not just a cheaper version. I feel that these clamps weren't made for a specific application and were created to fit a price bracket. The reality is that I don't always need 1000s of lb of clamping pressure and often appreciate a clamp that is more maneuverable and lighter. These traits are innate to the Jr, yet for some reason the truly functional aspects aspect of the clamp--the sliding of the mechanism and the handle--have been downgraded. I find it sort of ironic that the sticker on this is paper on the Jr but the Uniklamp has the pillowed sticker found on the Revo Sr. The Revo to me feels like a great clamp but I'm not 100% sure it knows what it wants to be yet.

I hope this feedback is informative and thank you for the opportunity to test these out. The truth of it is that I still thoroughly enjoyed using these clamps, although I did find myself reaching for the Unikmaps when I needed something light and the Revos when it was something heavy duty and laying down.

I would love to have something that takes the best of both the Uniklamp and Revo Sr and these are close, but not quite there (in my ideal world :D ).

Peace,

John

John I tend to agree with your observations and feel the the Revo Jr falls somewhere in between the Revo and the UniKlamp but not nessisarily picking up the beat of both worlds. However, I also understand that in order to market at a lower price point compromises must be made.

Most of my work is on smaller projects and the Revo Jr is all I really need, they are a great clamp, it is just tough when comparing them side by side with the Revo.

Great review.

John I tend to agree with your observations and feel the the Revo Jr falls somewhere in between the Revo and the UniKlamp but not nessisarily picking up the beat of both worlds. However, I also understand that in order to market at a lower price point compromises must be made.

Most of my work is on smaller projects and the Revo Jr is all I really need, they are a great clamp, it is just tough when comparing them side by side with the Revo.

Great review.

I agree on all fronts. Heck, I'd settle for ditching the spacer, removable face plates, keep the bar small/thin--but enough to keep it true--for a better slide mechanism and a better handle. Or, maybe it'd be better to come at it form the angle of making a beefy uniklamp more so than a gimped Revo.