window shutters

trz

Mock some shutters up out of cardboard, and tape them to the windows stand back and look. Have the boss (wife) look if you don't like them try another size until your happy. a real shutter that is functional would be half the distance of the width of the window the golden ratio didn't apply, that said a real wide, or a real narrow window would look silly with shutters that actually worked. All the houses i've seen with applied shutters, (decorative)the shutters have all been the same width.

As an architect, I really hate shutters that don't look like they would actually close and protect the window. For example, you might have a 6' wide window, but have an 15" shutter on either side.

But don't really listen to me. It is just a pet peeve of mine.

Part of your shutter design should consider the color. If you are going for high contrast, less will go further. The best advice is from Higtron... mock them up. I also suggest mocking up the color.

Another thing to consider is their style and exposure. If in full sunlight, the sun will cast strong shadows. The opposite would be if they are north facing. They will appear more muted.

Proportioning systems are there to use as guides, not as hard rules. Embrace them as a place to start, but be willing to disengage if the design calls for it.

have fun!

• 1 month later...