Nancy's Rocker and Footstool

Hi!

I'm interested in building a rocker for my wife, and before I start on this endeavor, I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into. I've seen a number of sites offer "Nancy's Rocker and Footstool". Woodcraft has it here...

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080767/30004/Nancys-Rocker-and-Footstool-Plan-AFD-415.aspx

I was wondering if anybody has built this, and if somebody can comment on it. Do you like it? Was it hard? It says you need a lathe, do you really need one? How big of a bandsaw do you need? Would a 10" tabletop work?

I would consider myself somewhere between a beginner and advanced woodworking. I do have a lot of tools, but a lathe isn't one of them. I think it would be fun to build, but just looking to see if others have done this.

Thanks!

1st, I have not built this. As far as your bandsaw, the head rest will be the biggest job because you have to cut (like a resaw) the curve on both sides. If you take a 2x6 to your bandsaw and just try to do a full straight resaw, I think you will see your saw will not have enough power for fir. When you use the hardwood you plan to use for the project, it gets worse.

The size you need is up for debate. Unless you are going to do a lot of resawing in the future, I would not bother with a 2HP+ bandsaw (along with the 240 V wiring). You sould be OK with a 1 - 1.5HP for this project. But think always about future projects when you are looking at equipment.

You can always get a kit from Highland Hardware here.

Good luck and I hope you get all your answers,

Doug