Workbench tops and the Janka scale

Eric.

I think that Chris Schwarz's most recent advice is use whatever species you can find locally that is inexpensive, stiff, and heavy - probably in that order of importance. Douglas Fir out west, Southern Yellow Pine in the south, etc. If you plan on a laminated top, instead of a thick slab, you'll be perfectly fine grabbing whatever the local 2x12 material is at your closest BORG. If you want to use something like maple or ash, that's fine as well.

Having made a bench with some Douglas Fir, I personally will never do it again. Its incredibly soft and unstable. Nothing like the Southern Yellow Pine our brothers and sisters on the East coast have access to. So for me, hard maple is where its at. And frankly, a wood that is soft enough to be dented by the bench is probably soft enough to be dented by just about any wood you make it from. So personally, it makes more sense to me that the bench be durable and stable.

Having made a bench with some Douglas Fir, I personally will never do it again. Its incredibly soft and unstable. Nothing like the Southern Yellow Pine our brothers and sisters on the East coast have access to.

That's the first hand account I've heard of someone using Doug Fir for a bench. Did you use green or dried lumber? I'm in the first stages of a bench design process myself and this is some choice info to have.

I made my first bench out of cheap doug fir 4x4's from the home center kiln dried jointed and glued together. It was very unstable, way to soft. Once a year I'd run the top through a drum sander to flatten and within months it was warped and uneven again. This time around it will probably be euro beach.

Don

That's the first hand account I've heard of someone using Doug Fir for a bench. Did you use green or dried lumber? I'm in the first stages of a bench design process myself and this is some choice info to have.

It was definitely not kiln dried stock. The local big box store doesn't give many options in those larger sizes.

About this time last year I went through the same bench building dilemma. The HD dug fir junk was just did not seem like a good option. Then I priced out hard maple, ash, hardware and the cost was significant and my skill were not at a level where I could justify dropping over 1k to try and build a bench. I opted for a very cheap effective method. I laminated and screwed to Ikea butcher block tops together and made a cheap base out of construction grade lumber and pocket holes. The top is flat and very functional and cost less than $100 and literally put it together in a day. The base is okay but after adding a bottom shelf and adding some weight to it, I have now problems planning on it. It's not super sexy but its functional.

James

About this time last year I went through the same bench building dilemma. The HD dug fir junk was just did not seem like a good option. Then I priced out hard maple, ash, hardware and the cost was significant and my skill were not at a level where I could justify dropping over 1k to try and build a bench. I opted for a very cheap effective method. I laminated and screwed to Ikea butcher block tops together and made a cheap base out of construction grade lumber and pocket holes. The top is flat and very functional and cost less than $100 and literally put it together in a day. The base is okay but after adding a bottom shelf and adding some weight to it, I have now problems planning on it. It's not super sexy but its functional.

James

That's cool, very creative.

talking about buying and it will cost you for 500.00 is that in finished wood or in ruff cut lumber. might be alot cheaper to buy it ruff cut and finish it yourself. just food for thought.

That's 8/4 rough stock, shipped. I'm gonna need in the neighborhood of 110-120 BF...haven't done the math exactly yet. If you know somewhere cheaper, let me know.

well i dont know where you are located at but a place near chicago is selling 4/4 hard maple for 1.54 a square foot. that was the price quote of about 2 weeks ago. so you will probably spend for that amount around $170-180 dollers. I dont know how much 8/4 is but this might give you a idea. only bad thing is you usualy have to buy it by larger amounts for instance the school has to buy $750 for free shiping. call any cabinet/wood workers in the paper and ask them about mills you might be able to find a local mill who can give you a deal and you might have to buy wood is small batches. if you cant buy 120 bf then you can buy 10-20 every week till you have what you need. or just look it up on the internet they im shure you can find something near by. you might want to think about bulding a contortion box table. stays flater and wont need as much solid material. marc did a video about it near the begining of his podcast check it out not that hard to build one.

I too did the jointed and edge glued 2X6's for my workbench top. If I were an auto mechanic and needed to rebuild a carburator that would probably do. For woodworking on the other hand it is HORRIBLE! I'm planning on going the IKEA countertop route. Anything's got to be better than what I have now. :)

I have a SYP top that I laminated from 2x10 from Lowes. I took me forever to sort through the piles, but I was able to find suitable ones. I ripped them to rough width and let them sit, and sit, and sit before I laminated them. I'm very happy with the way it came out, and I haven't had a problem with how "soft" it is. I work with domestic woods for the most part - walnut, cherry, oak, etc. - and there have been quite a few times when I was glad that the top of the bench was softer then the piece I was working with. I'd rather the bench dent then the project I'm working on. I don't care how "worked" my bench looks. That's what a workbench is for, abuse.

Jonathan

======================================