Finally built my first raised panel cabinet door!

DadoHead

I used poplar, and plan on painting it to match my kitchen cabinets (I have a door that someone screwed a towel rack on the back of the door where the screws went through to the front). Also, I plan on putting a ogee edge on the perimeter once I get the right bit. I bought a face frame hidden hinge and a forstner bit to cut the recess. I don't have a drill press right now. Is it advisable to cut these recesses without a drill press, or is this a good time to invest in one?

Thanks!

post-1544-0-27407900-1315265754_thumb.jp

You can purchase a jig to drill the 35mm cup hole using a hand held drill from Rockler. It registers the hole the proper distance from the door edge and the holder for the fostner bit limits depth to the right depth. That said if you mark the centerpoint carefully and creep up on the depth, you may be able to do it freehand. do some practice first. Especially if you are only doing one door. I use the Rockler jig even though I have a drill press. Just easier to use.