dust mask help

duckkisser

i have a short beard and i need to get a resporator. any advise on a good type for a guy with a fat face and a short beard. want one that i can just put the cloth filters on without the heavy plastic cases. i saw marc video with the round pink filtered dust collector but i dont know if that will work with a beard. anyone with a beard let me know what you think.

It may look like a ninja mask but try this one.

http://www.amazon.co...duct/B002A145EY

ok looking like a ninja isent a bad thing in fact i think it should be on the name of the mask.......work in stealth with a ninja like movements..... do you own one darrell how well does it feel and can i get filters for it easily? or is it use for a while and then buy a new one.

I'm not sure how well that would seal over a beard. The description didn't say anything about working with beards or facial hair.

As far as I know, if you have a beard you have to use a powered respirator. They pull the air through a filter and force it into the mask, so that the air flows outwards through the beard and other gaps. That way, nothing can get in through the beard or other gaps.

That said, if your beard is really short (like, "haven't shaved for a few days" as opposed to "beard"), then I think you can get by with a well fitting regular respirator.

I haven't sprung for a powered respirator, yet. Instead I just trim my beard really short.

I'm more worried about the ultra-fine "hepa" dust that will get through most filters. If it will get through most filters, it will definitely get through my beard. And that's the stuff that gets all the one down into your lungs and never comes up. The stuff that you can see gets caughed up and doesn't do much harm.

But, any mask is better than no mask at all.

If you have anything more than a 5:00 shadow, maybe a little more, you wil not get the seal you need to keep out the fine dust. I have a beard and the only thing that really works is a powered respirator. If my work isn't really dusty, I try to get by with a respirator similar to Marc's but I know the weakness of the seal.

-Jim