Clean Slate...again!

mn pete

We're in the new house...well, we have the keys and are working in the new house (painting, stripping, peeling, spraying, etc...) Our stuff won't arrive for another nine days so that we can tackle some pre-move in projects.

http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.c...ean-slate.html

Here's a peek at the new work space. Any advice from any of you working in a basement shop? This'll be my first time below ground (halfway below ground.)

post-2321-0-00363300-1315756290_thumb.jp

This would be a great post to share in “The Shop” sub-forum. Especially when you start posting progress pictures.

As far as a “basement” shop goes, you have ground level access on one side for moving tools, lumber, projects, etc. into and out of the shop. That overcomes one big problem with basement workshops.

Here are a few WTO posts that relate to basement workshop issues. I didn’t include the post on getting a heavy piece of equipment into a basement shop.

#1 / #2 / #3

mn pete,

First congrats on the new digs. I've had my shop set up in a walk out basement for almost 2yrs now here's some problems I've found.

1. Lighting is a huge issue especialy since the only windows I have are on the north side of the house. I solved that with some inexpensive florecsent shop lights from (GULP) wal-mart.

2. Here in the mid-atlantic humidity is an issue. I haven't figured out how to solve this yet. I'm considering a dehumidifier but IDK. For now I just make sure I keep all my tool tops waxed and everything properly lubricated.

3. Outlets are virtualy non-existant in my basement so I use power strip extension cords. Just make sure they're adequately rated for the amperage of whatever you plug into them.

4. Even though I have ground level access, the driveway to that door is quite steep so during inclement weather everything comes through the house and down the stairs. I've learned the hard way...GET HELP! Cast iron and 3/4 inch sheet goods are H-E-A-V-Y!!

Other than that I love having my shop in the basement. Since my wife has several health issues it's a lot easier for her to get me if she needs help since I can hear everything that goes on upstairs. That wouldn't be the case if I had a seperate shop or garage shop. Good luck and keep us posted on how things go.