band saw blade broke

duckkisser

anyone ever had a weld on a band saw blade break....had that happen scared the hell out of me the teacher and the kids working it.....thought that the kids twisted the wood at first but the board was a strait cut. the weld just gave out thinking about calling company rep raising hell and see if we get any free bee iteams. sounds bad but got to get everything we can when we have such a low budget.

That's a pretty common place for them to break. More important is where the blade went when it broke. I try to never stand on the side of the saw since that's where the blade will often loop out when it breaks. The family dog is fixed; that's enough.

Edit: a common "user error" that leads to the weld breaking is setting the guides too tight, whether ceramic, 'cool blocks', or bearings. When you set the guides for a blade, always do it over the weld.

• Like 1

Yes, they break. And most of the time it is at the weld. They break there because the welding operation imparts an extreme amount of heat into the band metal at that point. When that happens it makes the metal more brittle. This is typically not a problem but sometimes on smaller saws that the blade has to go around a smaller diameter wheel, this continued flexing of the more brittle point will cause the blade to break. As Paul-Marcel said, heat is a culprit to causing the blade to break. This is caused by too to tight of blade guides and even too high of tension.

Junior high school shop class, I was waiting my turn for the bandsaw when the blade snapped. Scared the crap out of me. It sounded like someone shot a gun. Fortunately no one was injured.

A kid lost the tip of his thumb at the bandsaw in my highschool shop class. He probably thinks paper beats scissors, too.

Another kid got a chunk of wood lodged smack in the center of his forehead when a walnut bowl exploded at the lathe. How shop classes still exist today I have no idea. Waivers work I guess.