crown moulding and hot water peat pipes

kunk

Hi,

This is my first time posting and I could not find my answer in your archives.

I am doing a very poor attempt in my first go at crown moulding. I am at a point were I need to go around or through but not behind the feed and return line for a radiator.

I thought about dead ending with a a return on both sides but I still need to trim around the pipes some how. The ceiling is tongue and groove planking and the walls are drywall. The pipes are 1 1/2 diameter 3/4 inch space between pipes and wall. Pipes are 8 inches apart.

House built in 1860, nothing straight, level, plumb. everything wavy and leaning.

Any ideas on how to lessen this atrocity?

Thanks,

Karl

I have no experience in crown molding. But if I were to take a stab at it, I'd do one of two things.

First thing to attempt would be to "box in" the pipes, in that I'd put a square edge around the locations of the pipes, and build a false ceiling that the pipes come out of. This is the "straight line" approach, but it puts 90 degree corners on the inside, instead of the outside. (although it allows you to practice making miters in multiple directions...)

The second idea would be to rip the molding in half lengthwise, drill half the hole to wrap around the pipe in each section, and line them up when you install the moulding. If done right, it would look seamless. (I'm not near that capability yet. So don't ask me to demonstrate perfectly.) I'd suggest starting with simple moulding from straight boards to practice.

But I'm sure others have better, and more knowlegable, answers.

• 2 weeks later...

Boxing it out is for sure the quickest way to go. Is this paint grade or stain?

If it's paint grade and you feel comfortable you can make drill the holes for the pipe then cut the piece out with a hand saw or jig saw. That's the easy part :) the second part is to glue it back in and fill it so that it looks like it never happened. If you can get me a picture i can draw it out so you can see what i mean.

If it's stain grade then boxing it out is the way to go.