Rip before plane?

robjeffking

Hi guys Ive recently purchased a bunk of wood but Ive run into a problem. Im building a tv cabinet for a hotel and its too hard to control the wood thru the jointer aand ripping (75" long) on the table saw by myself Ive set extra tables to catch the wood but one slip and Ive wasted 30 minutes of planing. Should I square the wood before I plane. A extra set of hands would be great but eats into the profit margin. Anybody else no how to control the wood with only 1 person? Included below are pics I promised from a recent post

post-5469-0-86694800-1317404908_thumb.jp

Do you need 75" pieces? Can you cross-cut before doing anything? In general, I'd say

• joint one edge and one face
  • plane opposite face
  • rip opposite edge

But if your pieces are too big to manage easily, then you should break them down (rough cut) them to a manageable size first.

If you need large pieces, then consider using a track saw instead of a table saw. In general, it's easier to move a small piece over the tool, but easier to move the tool over a large piece. If you don't have a fancy "track saw", a circular saw with a straightedge works well if you are careful.

• Like 1

So, the real problem is that you need an initial straight edge but don't want to have to run a massive timber over the jointer on edge?

I don't own a jointer and, when faced with making a set of bedposts out of some 12/4 behemoths, I built a ripping sled to get things squared on a table saw. Mine was quite a bit more complex than you would need because I built it to do not just the initial squaring but also to cut the eventual tapers on the posts.

PICT0002-3.JPG

PICT0004-1.JPG

If you're just getting a first straight edge, all you'd need is some way to fasten the board to a known flat, straight piece. i.e. a chunk of plywood.