Using Epoxy

anmiller03

Marc,

I was veiwing the video on the tool cabinet build and noticed that you weren't using fillers in the epoxy. Using straight epoxy will very likely cause a starved joint as most of it will soak into the wood especially plywood and leave nothing to fill any gaps and pores in the wood. Those who use epoxy may want to check into the use of fillers etc. Gougeon Brothers, the makers of West Systems has wealth of information available on their website. http://www.westsystem.com/ss/

Thanks for all you do,

Dusty1

Hi Dusty,

Your post piqued my curiosity since I just bought a West Systems epoxy system and am getting ready to use it for the first time. I wrote to West Systems for further clarification and this is the response I received, which gives a bit more detail on the issue:

"Wood can be bonded together with just neat epoxy if you don’t have gaps that need to be bridged and apply enough epoxy to both surfaces and have small amount of glue squeeze out when the surfaces are joined together with moderate clamping pressure. The 403 Microfibers is a good high density filler used to increase the viscosity of the epoxy and bridge gaps when bonding wood together.

I would recommend using a two-step bonding method for most applications when bonding wood together because it promotes maximum epoxy penetration into the bonding surface and prevents resin-starved joints. Depending on the wood used it will absorb the epoxy at different rates and possible have a starved joint if you use just neat epoxy. Another method of bonding is called single-step bonding, it can be used when joints have minimal loads and excess absorption into porous surfaces is not a problem. In both cases, epoxy bonds best when it is worked into the surface with a roller or brush. Here is a good article that covers both methods of bonding, http://www.westsystem.com/ss/bonding-gluing-clamping/ "

The links provide even more info. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Adam