shop made veneer glue

duckkisser

ok one of the kids wants to make a clock and put make some oak veneer on the outside. i have some veneer from a box store where you just put a hot iron to it the glue melts and sticks to the wood but its not big enough what i wanted to know is what kind of glue can i get that i can put on wood let it dry and then put heat on to remelt to attach to my project? anyone ever made there onwn veneer glue like im talking about?

• 1 month later...

Mark, any idea how thick the veneer can be and still have this work? At some point, it seems like thicker veneer would keep the heat of the iron from reaching the glue.

-- Russ

any thickness that the iron can heat through. Basically you coat both surfaces with white glue and let it dry. Then apply the heat with an iron as long as the heat get to both glued surfaces you're fine. I'd think you could up to 1/16" or even 1/8" but most commercially made veneer is thinner than that. I've done this with a number of veneers I've bought and never had a problem. Unless you're making your own veneers on a band saw I'd think this would work fine for most.