The most enjoyable woodworking...

During one of your lathe videos (vampire?) you mentioned how you really enjoy using the lathe when you do. For some reason that stuck with me. By power carving do you mean using tools like chain saws, or the type of carving tools you might see in a WoodCraft catalog (http://www.woodcraft...oodcarvers.aspx)? There is something really nice about shaping something by hand/tool. Pottery is that way also. I am trying to slowly gain the same appreciation for finishing.

The best for me is going freestyle and at the end having the finished item that looks exactly the same as it was in my mind's eye sitting in front of me. An added bonus is if I discovered a new or better technique of doing part of it during its construction. Could be a new home or a drawer front that I built, doesn't matter.

The most enjoyable aspect of woodworking is building something with knowledge I've gained through study and having the tangible result in my hands.

So far the most enjoyable area of woodworking has been turning. It's cool to watch, quickly gratifying, and never seems to fail to impress the friends and family.

During one of your lathe videos (vampire?) you mentioned how you really enjoy using the lathe when you do. For some reason that stuck with me. By power carving do you mean using tools like chain saws, or the type of carving tools you might see in a WoodCraft catalog (http://www.woodcraft...oodcarvers.aspx)? There is something really nice about shaping something by hand/tool. Pottery is that way also. I am trying to slowly gain the same appreciation for finishing.

Yeah I don't mess with chain saws. :) I'm talking more like grinders and rotary tools.

Marc,

I have not found any power carving videos on the site. Am I just blind or are there none? This is something I have been thinking of getting into ever since I saw David Marks make that turtle toy chest.

You can find a little carving action in the Trestle Table Series and the Sculpted End Table series.

Thanks Marc for the reply. I love the table and is giving me an idea for my new place :) Thanks again. Have to say I love this forum and thewoodwhisperer.com. I will be joining the guild soon. I want to be in on the shop table build, it sounds like alot of fun and i can sure use one :)

Thanks Charles. I am continually impressed by how this forum is growing, not just in numbers in friendliness and knowledge. Its a great place to waste some time. :)

I visit a number of forums for several different hobbies, and this is the only one that doesn't constantly devolve into petty bickering and nonsense. It's nice coming to a place where a troll isn't lurking around every corner.

Now when are you gonna do an episode on power carving? :D

I visit a number of forums for several different hobbies, and this is the only one that doesn't constantly devolve into petty bickering and nonsense. It's nice coming to a place where a troll isn't lurking around every corner.

Now when are you gonna do an episode on power carving? :D

I think it helps that I have a habit of kicking trolls out. Not many forums have a "no jerk" policy. lol

And a power carving video? Hmm....I'll have to cook something up.

• Like 1