Looking for advice on Bed Rail Fasteners

ngabriel

I'm working a frame for twin-size bed (39"x75") and I picked up some fasteners for the rails (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10&Max=999). I now find myself wondering how to go about routing the mortises on the ends of the rails. Their length (75") is obviously what presents me with the challenge. I'm reminded of one of Marc's early videos on Mortise & Tenons (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-10-tenons-anyone-pt2/), about 7.5 mins in when he's standing on table with the router about his head (funny stuff). Unfortunately, I don't see myself going out and buying a Festool Domino for this project (and obviously I'd like the rails to be detachable).

Anyone have any advice to share?

Regards

I rough cut the mortises in the end of the bed rails using a 1/8" straight cut bit in a Dremel, then trimmed them up using a chisel.

DSC_1109.JPG

I was less-than-impressed with the quality of the Rockler bed rail fastener. The ones I got were sloppily manufactured, not square and the goldish colored coating on the metal was flaking off. The tabs on the male side of the fastener are not welded to the bracket, instead they are just stamped or crimped in and could conceivably come loose. I realize they are an unseen element in the bed, but overall not a quality product.

Very cool, thanks for the tip. I do have a Dremel so this might work, but I don't have a way to control the depth of the cut. I'll think about it though. I actually got my fasteners from Woodcraft, they are made by WoodRiver. I'm not sure if they are any better/worse than the ones Rockler sells. I just posted that link as an example.