Knot repair

Jperez

I was working on the charity build and noticed a loose knot on the bottom of the horse. While I was sanding it came out. I know Marc used the West System to fill and repair knots. I'm not sure that I want to spend $150 + on the system to repair one knot. What other options do I have?

There are many different kinds of epoxy that will work just fine. West System is a top tier product designed for marine use so it comes in large containers with large prices. The other brands usually don't dry quite as clear as West System or System Three, but would work great for this kind of project. You can get small tubes or even single use packets of epoxy at a hardware store. JB Weld is a common brand, Loctite makes some, among many others too. It's usually in the specialty glue area with crazy glue, etc. These are like $1 / ea usually.

51gxJ16SiLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If I glue the knot back in CA glue. I do something similar to dwacker - while the CA glue is wet i pack with sanding dust from the board, just kinda pour over the glue. Hit it with accelerator and sand smooth. If I'm filling a hole of any size (1/2" or bigger) i use epoxy.

If I glue the knot back in CA glue. I do something similar to dwacker - while the CA glue is wet i pack with sanding dust from the board, just kinda pour over the glue. Hit it with accelerator and sand smooth. If I'm filling a hole of any size (1/2" or bigger) i use epoxy.

I do sort of the same. I put 80grit on an RO sander with the holes not lined up. Dribble on the ca then sand the patch the dust from the sander will fill the ca. FWIW this will ruin the velcro pad on your sander if done to often but will not if you buy a few 80 grit discs with no holes.

Don