Attaching paper patterns to wood

I watched the Rocking horse build on the podcast and found a product that will really make removing the paper patterns that are applied to the wood much easier. It's a Scotch brand product found in arts supply stores called "Spray Mount / Repositionable Adhesive" ( it comes in 4oz. or 10.25oz spray cans) You just spray it onto the back of the paper, let it dry for one minute and then simply place it onto your wood. Roll or press out any trapped air bubbles and your done with the application process. To remove just peel it off and the adhesive stays completely on the paper. It's kind of like sticky notes on steroids.

Try it, you'll like it!

Brian

post-5232-0-56574600-1317690113_thumb.jp

post-5232-0-88333200-1317690155_thumb.jp

post-5232-0-47074200-1317690173_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Hey, thanks for this tip. I've been using 3M 77 spray adhesive and it's awfully aggressive for attaching templates.

-- Russ

not shure who you talking to but if its me i havent tried this with attaching templates only on attaching drawing medium onto paper so if it works on wood let me know.

I guess I was trying to let everyone know about a product that works. I was watching The latest Woodwhisperer Rocking Horse podcast where Mark had to scrape and sand off the paper template after it served it's purpose. This Scotch "Spray Mount" product works very well when applying paper to wood. Just as described in the original post. The second picture shows the paper attached to the wood and the third shows how the paper comes off clean with the adhesive only on the paper. It's very much like a very strong Post-It note.

Brian

• Like 1

I watched the Rocking horse build on the podcast and found a product that will really make removing the paper patterns that are applied to the wood much easier. It's a Scotch brand product found in arts supply stores called "Spray Mount / Repositionable Adhesive" ( it comes in 4oz. or 10.25oz spray cans) You just spray it onto the back of the paper, let it dry for one minute and then simply place it onto your wood. Roll or press out any trapped air bubbles and your done with the application process. To remove just peel it off and the adhesive stays completely on the paper. It's kind of like sticky notes on steroids.

Try it, you'll like it!

Brian

This is awesome thank you for the tip. I use a lot of paper templates and have used many different things my current method is standard Elmer's glue stick :) really easy and just a simple wet brush gets the pattern off along with the glue. The thing i like most about the product you a talking about is that it looks like i will be able to reuse templates.

My wife and i make a lot of garden cutouts of giant bugs, critters, etc. I am just starting to get into more complex furniture builds, but I like to reuse my paper templates so I have always used large sheets of tracing paper and trace the patterns out onto my material. The lines hold up well enough for cutting and assembly and then sand off easily in finishing.

Wilbur Pan,

I have used the "Spray Mount" to adhere wet/dry sandpaper to my granite sharpening bench, and it works great. After removing the wet/dry sheets, I found that there was almost no adhesive left on the granite and the very small amount that i could feel came right off with either mineral spirits or denatured alcohol. I used three sheets in a row to lapp a plane base and it worked great. The sheets were removed and then repositioned and never moved.

Brian

Use 3M 77 all the time for attaching patterns for scroll saw work - works well. Be careful how much you use and how long you let it stay on the wood. Sometimes it can take a lot of sanding to get it off if you leave down too long.

Last week I try first putting down a layer of blue tape over the wood and the glued the pattern to the tape. Clean up was snap after that.

• Like 1

My dad swears by using the lighter fluid refills (for Zippo type lighters) to remove residue from price tags from books and other items. Think this will have an effect on the wood (other than the obvious flammable worry)?

(By the way, I've tried it on a couple things. You don't have to flood the surface, but drizzle a little around the edge of the sticker / tag until the tag soaks up the fluid. Then simply scrape with a knife blade or razor blade. Most of the glue residue comes up with the tag. Sometimes, the tag rips in an odd location from the "water line." Just reapply the fluid, and let it sit a little longer. There have been only a handful of times I've had to really pour a lot of fluid on a tag, but I don't remember if those were on wood or ceramic...)

My dad swears by using the lighter fluid refills (for Zippo ™ type lighters) to remove residue from price tags from books and other items. Think this will have an effect on the wood (other than the obvious flammable worry)?

(By the way, I've tried it on a couple things. You don't have to flood the surface, but drizzle a little around the edge of the sticker / tag until the tag soaks up the fluid. Then simply scrape with a knife blade or razor blade. Most of the glue residue comes up with the tag. Sometimes, the tag rips in an odd location from the "water line." Just reapply the fluid, and let it sit a little longer. There have been only a handful of times I've had to really pour a lot of fluid on a tag, but I don't remember if those were on wood or ceramic...)

I've heard of guys using naphtha (lighter fluid) to wipe down a section of wood to see what a finished piece will look like. Naphtha is good for removing adhesive and waxy substances from wood. Just make sure to use it in a well ventilated area

I've heard of guys using naphtha (lighter fluid) to wipe down a section of wood to see what a finished piece will look like. Naphtha is good for removing adhesive and waxy substances from wood. Just make sure to use it in a well ventilated area

and while not smoking.

Love the idea of the spray mount. I also watched the rocking horse build, and wanted to build something like that for my niece. Her room is decorated with turtles, so I found a turtle rocking chair to build for her. I got the pattern in the mail on a large sheet of paper, but I got to thinking what if I want to build this again another time in the future for somebody else? I'd like to keep the pattern for another time, so Marc's instructions of sanding off the paper will not work for me. Will the spray mount be a good idea, or should I go a different route? Any suggestions would be awesome!!! Sorry if this sounds like a noob question, but I've never done anything transferring patterns before. Lately all I've been doing is building poker tables and backyard decks for family and friends.

stichrisosu,

No, the spray glue will ruin your paper pattern also. You need to glue the paper to "hardboard", "cardboard", or "thin plywood" to make a permanent pattern. You then cut around that and trace around the hard pattern onto the wood for the turtle. So that way the pattern can be reused again.

Rog

stichrisosu,

No, the spray glue will ruin your paper pattern also. You need to glue the paper to "hardboard", "cardboard", or "thin plywood" to make a permanent pattern. You then cut around that and trace around the hard pattern onto the wood for the turtle. So that way the pattern can be reused again.

Rog

Don't forget plexiglass or acrylic, or poster board, or even foam board. I haven't used the latter two, but I do have a few semi-flexible tracing patterns I use for leatherwork. (these were manufactured, meaning I did not make these, but I know the material is available to purchase ... somewhere.) These sheets are barely a sixteenth of an inch thick at best.