Sticking Drawer

I am having a problem with a drawer that sticks. If I don't touch the drawer for an extended period of time, the drawer sticks when I try to open it. After I open the drawer, everything works fine - nice and smooth when it opens and closes. If I leave it alone again, say for an hour or longer, it sticks on that initial pull to open it. The longer it sits, the more it sticks. The finish is Danish Oil, with water-based poly on top of it. I have used Johnsons paste wax on the runners.

Any thoughts on what might be going on here?

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

===================================

I have this problem with one of my drawers in the house too. Frankly, I think its just from finish contacting finish. Usually wax helps a little but ultimately, it might be unavoidable. If the drawer has enough weight, putting two finished surfaces in contact for a period of time may always produce that friction catch. I imagine the problem is further exacerbated by heat/humidity.

How long ago did you finish the pieces? What I do is after a couple weeks of applying the finish is add several coats of wax to the runners/guides and the areas of the drawer that contact these areas. I would try several coats and buff it really well. One other thing I do is before I apply any finish I sand these areas to a high grit, around 400 to 600. Since my guides are on the inside of the drawer, sanding to this high grit in just these areas is not an issue . On my runners the drawer still sits on the runner but the drawer is guided from the inside of the drawer side under the drawers bottom (obviously) I learned this long time ago from seeing an antique and Charles Neil also shared a few more hints for this technique on the guild site in the dresser build. Doing this allows one to reduce the friction ,and because of the way it is done, as the drawer closes it is still brought into the perfect alignment that you want. One last thing, on drawers that I plan on having a lot of weight (more of a shop hint) in I use formica on all areas where there will be contact-slides smooth as smooth can be.

Nate

I have this problem with one of my drawers in the house too. Frankly, I think its just from finish contacting finish. Usually wax helps a little but ultimately, it might be unavoidable. If the drawer has enough weight, putting two finished surfaces in contact for a period of time may always produce that friction catch. I imagine the problem is further exacerbated by heat/humidity.

Marc- I think that's what the problem is, the finish to finish contact. I have put on some coats of wax on the drawer, but it doesn't seem to be alleviating the problem. I guess I will try and coat the inside of the case too.

Thanks,

Jonathan

===================

How long ago did you finish the pieces? What I do is after a couple weeks of applying the finish is add several coats of wax to the runners/guides and the areas of the drawer that contact these areas. I would try several coats and buff it really well. One other thing I do is before I apply any finish I sand these areas to a high grit, around 400 to 600. Since my guides are on the inside of the drawer, sanding to this high grit in just these areas is not an issue . On my runners the drawer still sits on the runner but the drawer is guided from the inside of the drawer side under the drawers bottom (obviously) I learned this long time ago from seeing an antique and Charles Neil also shared a few more hints for this technique on the guild site in the dresser build. Doing this allows one to reduce the friction ,and because of the way it is done, as the drawer closes it is still brought into the perfect alignment that you want. One last thing, on drawers that I plan on having a lot of weight (more of a shop hint) in I use formica on all areas where there will be contact-slides smooth as smooth can be.

Nate

Nate - I put the finish on weeks ago. To check my own waxing process:

- what do you apply the wax with?

- what do you use to buff the wax?

- how long do you let the wax sit before buffing it?

I am not using guides, just runners, kickers and the inside of the case, so it's really only sitting on the drawer bottom.

Jonathan

============================

OK, I went back and sanded again. I put wax on again. Multiple coats of wax, again. The drawers still stick. Would it be a disaster if I put some type of lubricant on the drawer bottom? Maybe a small streak of WD-40. (I can't believe I am even thinking about it)

Jonathan

==================================

My brother was telling me about some "super slick tape" that he put on some drawer runners. I don't know what it is called or where he got it but, I'll check with him and find out. We were thinking of using it on the guides in the miter slots of a miter sled for the table saw. It would give you a small amount fo thickness to deal with but if it works as well as he said it did,it might be worth a little sanding to un-stick your drawer.

Rog

I don't have the room for a pad. It would require rebuilding the drawer altogether. Do they sell it in thin strips?

I'm not really sure. I just seem to remember seeing drawers that ride on little squares of plastic, maybe 1/2" on a side and maybe 1/32" thick. If I'm remembering correctly at all, it seems like at most you'd have to plane a little bit off the bottom of the drawer in order to accommodate the thickness of the pads.

I'll fire up Google here in a minute to see if I can find a picture of what I'm talking about.

time passes ...

Okay. I'm back from Google. This stuff looks close to what I was remembering:

http://www.woodcraft...ick-Strips.aspx

I also saw some UHMW tape that's only .015" thick (about 1/64"). Google for "uhmw slick strips" and/or "uhmw slick tape" (without the quotes) and you'll find all kinds of good stuff.

-- Russ

Okay. I'm back from Google. This stuff looks close to what I was remembering:

http://www.woodcraft...ick-Strips.aspx

I also saw some UHMW tape that's only .015" thick (about 1/64"). Google for "uhmw slick strips" and/or "uhmw slick tape" (without the quotes) and you'll find all kinds of good stuff.

-- Russ

Thanks Russ. It looks like a run to Woodcraft is in order.

Jonathan

==================================

My brother was telling me about some "super slick tape" that he put on some drawer runners. I don't know what it is called or where he got it but, I'll check with him and find out. We were thinking of using it on the guides in the miter slots of a miter sled for the table saw. It would give you a small amount fo thickness to deal with but if it works as well as he said it did,it might be worth a little sanding to un-stick your drawer.

Rog

Rog -

Maybe it will be thin enough. I'll see what I can do. Thanks.

Jonathan

======================

Sorry about the late response but life has been busy. I use Johnsons floor wax and buff it with a micro fiber cloth several coats several hours apart. I am at a loss on your situation. I don't normally use danish oil but commonly use poly without any problems. I would try adding a few more coats of wax to create a barrier between the finishes. Please keep us posted.

Nate

I have abandoned the wax path. I put on several coats with hours in between the layers, and still the drawer stuck. I even tried beeswax (I have a stick of it. I figured why not). No dice.

I went to Woodcraft and bought some of the UHMW Slick Strips. I was able to remove a 1/32" from the bottom of the drawer, and applied the strips to the drawer runner. Success!!! I have tried letting it sit for a couple of hours, and the drawer glides perfectly. The last test is to let it sit overnight.

Thanks for all of the ideas. I knew I would find an answer.

Jonathan

========================================