Built-in back

So, I'm working on built-ins for my wife's sister and her family. There is a large center piece flanked by two bookcase sized pieces. The center upper piece is wider than 48", so I'll need more than two piece of ply to make up the back. Do you think it would be better to cut two pieces the same size leaving me a seam along the center of the cabinet, or should I have one 48" wide piece in the center with two smaller pieces flanking that giving me two seams left and right?

Basically, I'm building something similar to this:

http://fabrizioconst..._built_in_3.jpg

custom_built_in_3.jpg

I have to assume because you're asking that this will be stained. If you're painting, the seams would be easy enough to just hide. Options in order of cost (in my opinion)

1 Two pieces of book matched ply with the seam in the middle . The seem will look like it belongs

2 Get plywood with the grain running in the opposite direction, you can fit one piece across (assuming the section is under 48" tall)

3 I like someone else's suggestion of three pieces to match the doors below (or whatever configuration of doors you have)

4 the lesser cost plus plywoods already have veneers that look like sections. If your edges are really clean,you should be able to connect any number of pieces of ply and not be able to see the actual seams.

5 cheapest option, use painted mdf and make it match the walls in the room. It will look like there's no back at all. I like this option when the built-in makes the room look like it's all wood.