Need a Blunder Sub-forum

Skunkeye

I was well under way making 3 school desks for my kids today.

Cut the 12 legs, cut the apron pieces, cut the joinery with the Domino for speed (as my wife is demanding the desks NOW!). Dry assembly was perfect Everything was going great.

The tops were 3/4" Oak plywood that I edge banded with solid oak about 7/8" thick so I would have a little overhang to flush trim.

The flush trimming was going well until the bearing came off and the router bit dug in and completely buggered up the banding. Scared the crap out of me because as it dug in the bit split out a good sized chunk of banding and the router jerked.

It isn't a huge deal, I can cut away the defect and re-edge band the top with only the loss of a 1/4 or so of plywood, but I found the mishap demoralizing and decided to call it a day.

To console myself I wanted to read about other people's horror stories, but, alas, no screw-up heading I could find.

Skunkeye,

Sounds like that could have gone much much worse! I can just imagine the damage a chunk of steel flying off a router bit and zinging around the shop could do. I had a an accident about a week ago with my router that really ticked me off. I'm in the process of making a crib for my daughter's first child. In the process of pattern routing the curve on the "headboard" I somehow allowed the router to tilt buggering up the pattern AND the workpiece. Boy was I mad! Anyway, hope that consoles you somewhat.

I'm actually against a "blunder" category. 'cause everything I make would end up there.... :)

I started an outdoor table a few years ago. None of the legs are the same length. I didn't batch cut, I measured all off the same one leg. Somehow, all four legs came out different lengths. Not a big deal, right? Measure, mark, cut, check. All four are now different lengths. Get the scrap block, measure, mark, cut, check. All four are still different lengths.

I took off four inches total, before realizing the table was rocking when I marked the back legs. I now have (still incomplete) an outdoor footstool.

I can't count the times that I've cut something wrong when measuring something that has fractions of an inch in the measurement. :wacko: If I want something 12-1/2" long and get in a hurry, I will certainly end up with something 11-1/2" long because I sometimes subtract the 1/2" from the 12 instead of adding the 1/2".! :rolleyes: And the smaller the fractions are the worse it seems to get! ;)

Rog