I need a new tool.

Rapid Roger

OK, OK, so who doesn't need a new tool?

What I need is a "LEFT HANDED" tape measure!..... Noooo, I am a right handed person, and I normally use a standard 12 foot tape measure which in my opinion are made for left handed people.

When trying to measure the length of a board to cut, I normally hold the tape in my left hand so I can use a pencil in my right hand to mark the length. The problem is, in doing things in that manner, ALL the numbers on the blade of the tape are upside down!

Over the years, I have probably owned 25 or 50 different tape measures and almost all of them have worked the same way, If a person holds the body of the tape in their right hand, all the numbers (and fractions thereof) are right side up and easy to read but, (for me anyway) trying to make a mark at the desired measurement with the pencil in my left hand is difficult at best.

A friend of mine told me that such tape measures are available and he had seen one but, we don't know where to find them to buy. Can anyone here tell me where I might find such a tool?

I have owned one tape that had the numbers printed in both directions and it was a dream to use but, eventually wore out and I couldn't even find a replacement blade for it printed in the same way. If someone knows of a similar tape measure please post the maker and maybe even a part number for it. Even a replacement blade with the numbers printed in both directions to fit one of my old tape bodies would help.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rog

Thanks for all the replys guys!

Southwood, I have also seen a metric crescent wrench and even used it on SAE bolts and nuts! :D

All the rest of you, Sorry but, I don't have any of the "usual providers" like Woodcraft or Lee Valley close at hand. I do have a "Fastcap FlatBack" tape that I like but, it is a 16 footer and the numbers are still printed on the tape for a "LEFT" handed person. All of the suggestions are good but, all of them in the left handed readers are of the 16 foot length and I like the 12 foot length.

I Carry a 12' tape on my pocket most of the time and find the 16 footers are just too bulky and cumbersome. Also, I seldom need to measure anything over 8 foot long so a 12' or even a 10' is all I'm really am interested in. I already have a 16', a 25', a 50' and even a 100' tape in the shop all of which are printed such that the body of the tapes need to be held in the right hand to read the numbers correctly thus requiring that the marker/pencil be held in the left hand. Actually, I can make a mark with my left hand and I have learned to read numbers upside down so, I've learned to "live with it" but, I'm surprised that some manufacture of tape measures hasn't come out touting a "NEW DESIGN" tape that you can read and mark for right handed wood workers!

Yea, I'm just a grumpy old man who likes to complain allot about nothing important. :P

Rog

RR, say it ain't so. You used a metric tool on SAE stuff. Oh the humanity :D

Yea, Well any port in a storm! :) It was back in the 80's when I was working in a sheet metal shop and the boss bought a bunch of cheap, junk tools and the crescent wrench had "METRIC" stamped in the handle. :wacko: All of us laughed about that for months. :D We had a pet name for that wrench but I can't repeat it on this public forum. :rolleyes:

We razzed the boss about the fact that the only nuts and bolts in the shop were SAE so we couldn't use the wrench. :P All the rest of the junk tools didn't last more than a month. <_< One guy picked up a pair of pliers and squeezed them and one handle broke off on the first try!! :o:lol: :lol:

Rog