veneer in cars?

dabidebedoo

Has anyone tried using homemade or ready-made veneer for restoring/rebuilding/upgrading the in-car trimming? All those demisters and facias? The car is now in cheap broken plastic. I am thinking of gluing leather over plastic parts and using some wood trims here and there. I'd be very thankful for some encouraging projects and technics ;-)

Using / restoring real wood veneers is easy in older cars like the MG's and Jags. The newer cars are just stick on pieces. My Durango is just a stick on wood set from the factory. What kind of car?

Don

It' an old Range Rover Classique - just for fun, got itchy hands:-)

But there is no veneer in it - plain plastic. Some wooden pieces on door handles - that's all. I want it look like a luxury car, with beige leather panels trimmed with dark veneer.

For the leather, there is a specialty product that can bond leather to just about anything. No, it's not CA glue. I don't remember the name of the product, so I can't tell you what it is. (I don't need to bond leather to much right now, just stitch it together.) You can go to various leather supply stores, such as my favorite, to check out what they have by way of glues.

I'd sand the plastic smooth before applying the veneer, just for comfort sake, but definitely wear a respirator. I'd love to see something like a bubinga veneer, but that might be a bit... expensive?

I know that many luxury cars have used hardwood veneer, but I don't know how thick it gets. I'd start with looking at the veneer sheets available at Rockler or Woodcraft before slicing up your own stock.