Starting to set up shop...finally!

mn pete

Hey gang,

It's been a while since I've posted, and seen some of the amazing work you all have been up to!

After working on a whole list of house projects in the new digs (which still seems to be growing) I've finally started unpacking a few things in the basement and planning the layout for the new shop.

http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/2011/10/movin-on-down.html

As always, tips and advice are welcome! This'll be my first time setting up in a basement.

One bit of advice: try to lay out your shop so that beam down the center of the basement overhead is not in the way when you move your stock from one location to another. Setting up your table saw underneath it might sound like a bad idea, but once the material is cut, you don't have as much to move. Then again, if you set the drill press or band saw up underneath it, you know you won't be banging your lumber on the lower ceiling.

Also, add a carpet or entry mat at both the landing on the steps and by the patio door. That way you don't track sawdust upstairs or mud into the shop.

As for under the windows... maybe a shallow cabinet / bookshelf with all your hardware, hand tools, or clamps?